Skip to main content

Marvel or DC

Superhero fans all over the world may have had this debate. It’s a battle between the world of Marvel and DC. Honestly, my loyalty has always leaned towards the world of Marvel. I remember watching the animated X-Men series as a kid, and I’ve seen all the X-Men films except for the solo Wolverine ones – I even dressed up as Storm one Halloween (I wasn’t able to manipulate the weather like she does, but I still looked great! Professor Charles Xavier would have been proud of me.) But my take on each side? Let’s see…
The world of Marvel has brought us:
X-Men
Spiderman (Tobey Maguire is my favorite pick)
The Avengers
Daredevil (Ben Affleck was a terrific fit)
Thor
Deadpool
Captain America (Chris Evans is a hottie)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman is a babe)
The world of DC has brought us:
Wonder Woman (Much respect to Lynda Carter – the original. Without her, we wouldn’t have Gal Gadot. But Gal Gadot is a beast. She also served in the Israeli military. How’s that for street credibility?)
Batman (I grew up on the George Clooney versions, but I’m also torn between Christian Bale – he did a great job)
Superman (Henry Cavill is unbelievably gorgeous)
Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie was amazing)
The Joker (Jared Leto did an amazing job in Suicide Squad, but Heath Ledger gave that character new levels of insanity in the best kind of way)
But no matter which side anyone thinks is best, it might not even matter. Both sides have incredible candidates. A colleague of mine and I debated about this one day and he said, Marvel films are cool. It just seems like DC films are rushed when they come out. While I do like Marvel more, I see nothing wrong with enjoying DC films as well. Who says one can’t have the best of both worlds? Does it matter which is better?  






Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...