Skip to main content

Blindsided

When someone you love dies a lot of things you might think matter, don’t. Suddenly, material items, status, worry about things beyond your control, whining and complaining, grudges, and a bunch of other senseless things become insignificant. Last weekend my aunt passed away. When I got the news from my mother, I was surprisingly calm and perhaps a bit numb (especially because during the weeks leading to her passing, I’d been coping by praying and throwing myself into my work and writing.) But the reality was she was no longer here. And I have a combination of feelings about this loss -- sadness, anger, disappointment, hurt, and acceptance. I’m saddest for her husband and kids because now, her husband is going to be without his wife and my cousins are going to be without their mother, and that reality breaks my heart the most. I’m also sad for my own mother (who was her sister) my aunt, uncles, and extended family and friends that knew her, because this wasn't something any of us saw coming. This past summer and fall my aunt seemed just fine – happy and full of life just like she always was, so when I learned she got a bad diagnoses, I had unwavering faith she’d pull through. Even when doctors were saying things weren’t looking good, my mindset was, she’ll have a powerful testimony when she recovers from this. Everything's going to be okay. Myself and others believed God for the best, only to get blindsided.

Sometimes life will hand you something unexpected. With the exception of some close friends and family, I never publicly shared this, but last spring my father, brother, and I had a scare when we thought we were going to lose my mother. She ended up being okay, but I thought she going to die. And watching a bunch of EMTs come into our home, and riding in the front seat of an ambulance with my mother in the back seat, not knowing what was going to happen next was a living nightmare. We were relieved she was okay, but having the scare was eye opening. Now, discussing things like living wills, life insurance policies, burial plots, and home going services are conversations my father and I have talked about together. And while these kinds of things can be uncomfortable to discuss, they’re necessary. Because death is a part of life. There’s no denying that. Being as prepared and knowledgeable as you can be is important.

I’m really going to miss my aunt. I’m going to miss her laughs, smile, hugs, cooking, warmth, personality, and humor – just to name a handful of things. Not only was she my aunt, but she was my godmother, and my parents couldn’t have chosen a better person. I’m grateful that shortly before she passed, she was able to say what she wanted to say to me. I know how much she loved me and I will love her forever. When I went to see her in the hospital, I had a moment of clarity I never knew I’d get about life, and was reminded of how short life is, what’s important vs. what’s not, and to live intentionally. My aunt was one of the most loving, giving, and sincere people I’ve ever known and while I miss her, it’s going to be an honor celebrating her life.


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far