Skip to main content

Is Technology Ruining Our Lives?

Growing up my family had dial up internet. (Yes, there was a time when Wi-Fi was non-existent.) There was exactly one computer in the house that was the family computer and my brother and I had e-mail accounts, closely monitored by our parents. We weren’t allowed to use the computer without permission or during the school week unless we had an assignment or project that needed to be done. There was no social media. No smart phones. No texting. And no way of anyone being able to have multiple ways of being able to get in touch with you or clock your moves. I remember that time (early through late 90s) being much more peaceful.

These days? There’s practically technology almost, everywhere. People aren’t as present as they used to be. Most people seem so “plugged in” that they’re often out of touch with reality. Others have meltdowns and fall into comparison traps after scrolling through their social media feeds, and a lot of people are definitely way more impatient.

I don’t believe technology is evil, however, I believe it’s a great source of strain, pressure, and addiction for many, many people. Pro’s like, being able to keep in touch with others, stream television shows and movies at one’s leisure and the option to obtain tickets for events and travel, and being able to do online shopping are nice, but the con’s such as distractions, comparisons, and the lack of being present are things that can prompt the question:

Is technology ruining our lives?
Henry David Thoreau once said, “Men have become tools of their tools…”
Have we? 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...