Skip to main content

Blinders

During horse races horses wear blinders. Race horses don their blinders to remain focused on what’s in front of them, all while not being preoccupied with what’s behind them, beside them and ultimately mastering the skill of remaining focused on their individual course to win the race. These blinders help keep the horses from getting distracted or disrupted with what’s going on around them. This concept was a refreshing reminder to me of the importance of staying on track and making sure I’m mindful of my own blinders being on. I pray about this often.
Are your blinders on?

In the past, not having my blinders on have gotten me off focus, upset, frustrated and disappointed about things like…
Caring what other people think.
Dwindling seasonal relationships.
Past failures and setbacks.
And comparisons.
All of which ended up being energy drains on my spirit, mind, body and time.

These days things like comparison traps and trying to keep up with what any and everyone else is doing can easily deter you from making sure your own blinders are on. And if you’re not careful, caring what others think or focusing on what someone else has going on in their life that you may perceive to be appealing or missing from your own, can cause feelings of bitterness, jealousy, insecurity and discontent to ease in, even without you realizing it. But if you have your own blinders on, you won’t turn into a hater, you’ll grow to care less about the opinions of others, and you’ll be focused and occupied with your own race, and also be able to be happy for others, their good news and the exciting things happening in their life as well as your own, too, no matter what season you happen to be in (even in those darker seasons when things seem and feel awful. Your perspective is what will make the difference.)   

Believe me. I know what it’s like to be in holding patterns, watch others be blessed with things I’ve prayed, labored for, waited on and dreamed about for years (even the most ratchet of people.) I've also had to clap for others and be supportive when I didn’t feel like things were fair, and take back seats I didn’t want to take. However, I’ve seen God shift things in tremendous ways that let me know He’s got me. I always have to be mindful of my own blinders, though. And you should do the same in your own life. Run your race and keep moving forward. Blinders on.

Check out the link below about the importance of blinders. Enjoy.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...