Skip to main content

Before You Say “I Do”

I’ve had the great fortune to peek into the lives and actually speak with a number of married, separated, and divorced folks who’ve been able to give me tremendous amounts of insight into their lives. I’ve obtained valuable information from them all. I don’t pass up opportunities to glean from their lives, because I’ve learned things I would’ve never thought about in the first place. Below are some of my findings and advice I’ve received from different men and women (older and younger) who’ve openly shared their experiences with marriage, separations, and divorce. Check it out…
From the married folks…
Don’t make permanent financial decisions and purchases based on someone else’s income (always be in a position to take care of yourself no matter what.)
Get pre-marital counseling.
Live a whole, full life on your own before committing to anyone long term.
Take your time and don’t rush into marriage.
Relationships are hard work.
If you see something that’s not right about the person at the beginning, don’t marry them.

From the separated and divorced folks…
Don’t do it. “It” being marriage.
Stay independent.
While you’re in your twenties, make sure you’re putting yourself first.
If the relationship is already in trouble, getting married or having kids won’t make things better, it’s just going to cause more problems.
Save marriage for way down the line. Like, way later in life.
Keep your friends and family out of your business. (In regards to issues with the relationship)
Take your time and don’t be in a hurry to get married.
A wedding is just one day and a few hours of your life. Take your time. In a marriage everybody will try to have a say about your life and what you should be doing, and how to raise your kids and etc. So, take your time.
Don’t wait until after the wedding to discover how you both view life and the world.
If you see something that’s not right, or have hesitation, don’t marry them.
When I learned these different things, I found them very eye-opening and insightful. I hope anyone reading is able to benefit from them as well. I know I have.


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...