Skip to main content

All Eyez on Me

In June the much anticipated 2Pac biopic All Eyez on Me was released. The critics were brutal and a number of fans had mixed reviews as well. As a 2Pac fan, I enjoyed the film. While there were scenes in the movie that seemed rushed, overall, it was well done. Having a glimpse inside the life of 2Pac was incredible. He was a creative genius, activist, and poet, easy on the eyes, bold, and outspoken, all of which All Eyez on Me portrayed well. Prior to the release of the biopic, I was already familiar with his music and a number of his films (specifically Juice and Poetic Justice) both being films where you could see his star rising. His portrayal as Bishop in Juice was terrifying in the best kind of way. He owned the part masterfully. And in his role as Lucky in Poetic Justice, you could still see the street side of him, with a chill and likeable vibe. What’s incredible about 2Pac is the fact that his legacy still remains and not just because of the release of All Eyez on Me, but more so because of the meaningful art he created through his music. Sure, he made some mistakes in his life, but to get a glimpse of what his journey was like was real. And regardless of the negative reviews from the critics, All Eyez on Me was great. If you haven’t seen it, I recommend checking it out. It’s dope. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...