Skip to main content

What’d You Do for Money in College?

One day at work a handful of co-workers and I got into a conversation that soon turned humorous when one co-worker asked, “So, what’d you do for money in college?” There was instant giggling because the question sounded scandalous. Suddenly, we all started sharing different stories about our experiences working at part-time jobs before getting into full-time positions. A handful of us had done internships, one person had an interesting story about dressing up in a costume for kids’ parties, another worked at an amusement park, and I started thinking about my time as a childcare provider, office intern for a local magazine, and finally my position as an office temp. The grind through college wasn’t an easy one. But now I can really appreciate that time in my life of juggling multiple jobs, and working through school. Each position helped me grow, taught me a lot about myself, and how to work with other people. When I was a freshman in college my parents didn’t want me to work because they wanted me to focus on school, and I remember my father saying, “Don’t get desperate for money and start doing something like hitting the strip club.” I wasn’t insulted because I know he was joking, but there are women and perhaps some men, that may be stripping to pay their way through college. While I wouldn’t recommend that option, I judge no one. College is expensive and if you can find a way to pay for it that isn’t illegal or putting yourself or anyone else in danger, do what you have to do, I guess.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...