Skip to main content

Thot or Sexually Liberated?

If a guy goes through a bunch of women, he’s a player and praised for what he does. If a woman goes through a bunch of men, she’s quickly labeled a ho, tramp, slut, whore, thot (acronym for that ho over there) and any other name that can come off as a negative insult, and more often than not, will find herself ostracized and judged.

If a woman enjoys sex and has as many partners as a man, does that make her a thot or just sexually liberated?

In the 90s Darren Star’s popular series Sex and the City, featured four women who were close friends, living in New York City, who routinely discussed their sex lives and experiences with different partners, while navigating the dating world. To this day, the series remains a cult classic. There was also another series by Mara Brock Akil titled Girlfriends, that featured four African-American women who were smart, successful, and driven professionals, who did the same. Girlfriends was like a black version of Sex and the City. Both shows featured female characters that were not ashamed of their sexuality or taking ownership of their sex lives. While those shows were created for entertainment purposes, in real life, the perception of women who choose to celebrate the same kind of liberation is painted negatively. Why is that? 

On the other side of the coin, being a woman who’s discreet and has a low key, non-questionable past with men can have negative views, too. I’ve actually met guys who’ve been vocal about not wanting to be with someone who withholds sex, makes them wait until there’s a serious commitment (such as a timeline based on how long they’ve been together or waiting until marriage) or being with someone who lacks experience. It’s interesting.

What’s also been interesting is the rise of a number of public figures, like Ciara, Meagan Good, and Mariah Carey, for example, sharing their choice to put sex on hold. Which is honestly, dope. A lot of people hold out for different reasons (religion, to recover after a split, to figure out who they are and want they want for future relationships, and etc.) It may seem like a foreign concept these days, but it’s more common than some people may realize. If someone can have self-control in that area, I believe they can have self-control with just about anything.

It’s interesting how women are heavily criticized, though, no matter which direction they take. Every situation is different, but when the opinion firing squad starts, most women are usually caught in the crossfire while men get a pat on the back. Wild, right? 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...