Skip to main content

How to Glow Up

The process of glowing up takes time. A glow up will look significantly different for everyone, but I believe people can tell when one has indeed, “glowed up.”

Glowing up is the process in which one goes through a noticeable transformation where they look good, are doing good, and have bettered themselves. It happens to the best of us. I’ve seen people glow up and thought, man, when did that happen? As a former nerd, I’ve always had a soft spot for others that were capable of glowing up. I could empathize with them because I knew one day, I would improve, too. For example, growing up, the guys I liked never liked me back, and they thought it was funny to diss me in the process. I’ve never been one for revenge, but I maintain that you should be careful who you diss. The nerdy types glow up in ways you’d never think. And the same ones who diss, will be the same ones trying to get at you after you’ve glowed up. I’ve lived this and it’s funny, because looking back, I don’t know why I even liked some of those guys. A lot of them were clowns. Anyways, anyone seeking to glow up can do it. All it takes is three steps:

1) Reinvent Yourself – I used to wear glasses all the time. Every now and then I still wear them, but I was introduced to contact lenses as a high school freshman, and when switched up, it changed my look. I also started to play around with makeup and learned new and different ways to enhance my look. It’s amazing how some tiny tweaks can make improved changes. It’s good to experiment with your look every now and then, and figure out what works for you and what doesn’t.

2) Trade Up – I once heard it’s good to occasionally take inventory of the kind of people you have in your circle. Honestly, I’ve had a ton of crappy friends, and when I started to chill in places where I could connect with people that were either doing things I wanted to do, or doing better than me, I started to link up with them, learn from them, and get connected with people serious about doing meaningful things with and in their lives. You are who you hang out with. Could it be that some of your expired friendships are holding you back?

3) Accept Yourself – This is the most important of the three. Confidence will make people take notice of you. If you can accept yourself, others will start to, too. I used to have low self-esteem, and once I started the process of accepting myself, I noticed how things changed for the better.

Glowing up is not difficult. You have to take it on in a way that works for you. It’s amazing what a little reinventing, a new circle, and accepting yourself can do. Hope these tips help.



Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far