Skip to main content

How to Deal With Anxiety

I hate anxiety. And I hate what it’s done to a number of people I know. It’s the reason why some aren’t able to function properly. It robs many of their peace and can ruin lives in disruptive ways. Anxiety literally traps people in isolating prisons of pain, panic, and fear that quite frankly, makes me angry. Anxiety is something that’s become so common that people accept it as a diagnosis. I can’t accept that.

When people reach out to me about their struggles with anxiety, I listen, carefully try to walk them through why they’re feeling it and immediately go into a posture of prayer. It’s hard, but I know what it’s like. Some of my most memorable anxiety struggles?  

Financial strain. Growing up, I didn’t learn great money habits. I saw how money was mishandled and how poor financial choices affected my family, negatively. Because of that, I used to worry about not have enough. Financial struggles were a trigger for me, and as an adult I made a choice to know better and do better, and make responsible choices with handling money.

Family. I have some family members who’ve been verbally abusive, controlling, and intimidating. There were things said and done to me that were scarring and haunted me as an adult. Whenever I’d see certain family members at gatherings or be within distance of them, they’d trigger painful memories that would shoot my anxiety levels high.

As a teenager I’d panic whenever I’d hear fire truck sirens go off when my parents were out, and think they were involved in a car crash, when they were perfectly safe and fine.

As a kid I once noticed a swollen bump on my hand, and was worried I had a growing tumor. My mom had to calm me down. I must’ve sounded ridiculous.

During a past season at an old job, I was scared of meetings. I always thought meetings meant trouble and that I was getting ready to be fired. Getting fired would mean no income, which meant, financial struggle. And that kind of anxiety definitely impacted me in harmful ways.

I’ve met people who seemed perfectly normal on the surface, and struggled with anxieties you’d never know about. And I’m one of them. I know what it’s like to be scared, hurt, and have anxiety with things that are painful to talk about. Anxiety is fear about something that hasn’t happened yet. So, why worry and live in fear?  Be present and trust that no matter what lies ahead, God’s got you covered. Whenever I feel a spirit of anxiety trying to creep in, I know it’s not from God, so I rebuke it, demand calmness in my spirit and surrender my feelings to the Lord. Once I calm down, I’m in a state of peace and ease that’s untouchable.

I have too much living to do to be prisoner to any anxieties. Truthfully, there’ll always be things that happen that may try to trigger anxiety, but the key, is understanding that the only thing you can control is your response to those triggers. Three tips to help with dealing with anxiety?

1) Pray and surrender. Give all of what you’re feeling to the Lord. He can carry it better than you think you can. Anxiety, fear, and worry show a lack of faith and trust in God. Remember, God’s got you.
2) Read, Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. If you struggle with anxieties, this is a great resource to check out. It’s served me very well.
3) Seek professional help. If needed, go to counseling. I once went through a rough season of struggling with anxiety, and when I went to counseling my counselor talked with me about mindfulness and taught me ways to deal with anxiety. It took a long time to work through my issues and I’m happy to report, day by day, I experienced deliverance and an understanding that I can’t control everything that happens. Instead, I can choose to trust God completely, no matter what. And journaling is great, too. Writing what you feel can be very relieving.
If you struggle with anxiety, I hope you find these tips helpful. I’m happy to cover you in prayer. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...