Skip to main content

How to Deal With Anxiety

I hate anxiety. And I hate what it’s done to a number of people I know. It’s the reason why some aren’t able to function properly. It robs many of their peace and can ruin lives in disruptive ways. Anxiety literally traps people in isolating prisons of pain, panic, and fear that quite frankly, makes me angry. Anxiety is something that’s become so common that people accept it as a diagnosis. I can’t accept that.

When people reach out to me about their struggles with anxiety, I listen, carefully try to walk them through why they’re feeling it and immediately go into a posture of prayer. It’s hard, but I know what it’s like. Some of my most memorable anxiety struggles?  

Financial strain. Growing up, I didn’t learn great money habits. I saw how money was mishandled and how poor financial choices affected my family, negatively. Because of that, I used to worry about not have enough. Financial struggles were a trigger for me, and as an adult I made a choice to know better and do better, and make responsible choices with handling money.

Family. I have some family members who’ve been verbally abusive, controlling, and intimidating. There were things said and done to me that were scarring and haunted me as an adult. Whenever I’d see certain family members at gatherings or be within distance of them, they’d trigger painful memories that would shoot my anxiety levels high.

As a teenager I’d panic whenever I’d hear fire truck sirens go off when my parents were out, and think they were involved in a car crash, when they were perfectly safe and fine.

As a kid I once noticed a swollen bump on my hand, and was worried I had a growing tumor. My mom had to calm me down. I must’ve sounded ridiculous.

During a past season at an old job, I was scared of meetings. I always thought meetings meant trouble and that I was getting ready to be fired. Getting fired would mean no income, which meant, financial struggle. And that kind of anxiety definitely impacted me in harmful ways.

I’ve met people who seemed perfectly normal on the surface, and struggled with anxieties you’d never know about. And I’m one of them. I know what it’s like to be scared, hurt, and have anxiety with things that are painful to talk about. Anxiety is fear about something that hasn’t happened yet. So, why worry and live in fear?  Be present and trust that no matter what lies ahead, God’s got you covered. Whenever I feel a spirit of anxiety trying to creep in, I know it’s not from God, so I rebuke it, demand calmness in my spirit and surrender my feelings to the Lord. Once I calm down, I’m in a state of peace and ease that’s untouchable.

I have too much living to do to be prisoner to any anxieties. Truthfully, there’ll always be things that happen that may try to trigger anxiety, but the key, is understanding that the only thing you can control is your response to those triggers. Three tips to help with dealing with anxiety?

1) Pray and surrender. Give all of what you’re feeling to the Lord. He can carry it better than you think you can. Anxiety, fear, and worry show a lack of faith and trust in God. Remember, God’s got you.
2) Read, Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. If you struggle with anxieties, this is a great resource to check out. It’s served me very well.
3) Seek professional help. If needed, go to counseling. I once went through a rough season of struggling with anxiety, and when I went to counseling my counselor talked with me about mindfulness and taught me ways to deal with anxiety. It took a long time to work through my issues and I’m happy to report, day by day, I experienced deliverance and an understanding that I can’t control everything that happens. Instead, I can choose to trust God completely, no matter what. And journaling is great, too. Writing what you feel can be very relieving.
If you struggle with anxiety, I hope you find these tips helpful. I’m happy to cover you in prayer. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far