Skip to main content

That Time I Was a Hot Mess After College

The transition from college to the real world is no joke. I’m not a fan of process or transition, but both are common themes in life. When I was edging towards the end of my senior year of undergrad I was going through a wave of emotions. I had a lot on my mind: graduation, trying to land a great career opportunity, maintaining some relationships that were built, and trying to figure out, what’s next? Looking back I was sacred as hell and doing a crappy job of hiding it. I did reckless things like vent on social media and isolate myself away from people, when I probably should have stayed off of social media and spent more time with others, instead of being alone.  And more importantly, I should’ve been spending even more time with God. During this time, I was once asked if I was freaking out about finishing school. I had confidently said, “No.” But who was I kidding? I was definitely unsettled out about what was ahead. I’d been going on job interviews and taking meetings since January and had some offers on the table, but, not offers I believed were best.

So, when May came I really started to panic. I was panicking when I should have been celebrating what had been a very long and challenging journey to finish school. It was obvious that Matthew 6:27 (Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?) had temporarily left my memory. About a week before graduation I had a photo shoot scheduled, and I was stressed. When I went to pick up my cap and gown I was stressed, and the same week as my actual graduation, I’d received a phone call saying I didn’t get a job I just knew I was a shoe in for. Instead of celebrating what would be a joyful occasion, I glued myself to my laptop, tweaking my résumé and cover letters, and chose to be stressed. My mother was excited about some graduation announcements she had made, and found me tucked away with my stress. As she was smiling and filled with excitement, I was down in the dumps. “What’s wrong?” She asked when she saw how disappointed I looked. “I didn’t get the job,” I replied. Then I started crying. Those freaking wave of emotions were all over the place. “Girl, you got the hard part over with. You finished school. I was never worried about you getting a job. I already know that’s going to happen. You have to know that too,” she said. It’s cool how moms can talk sense into you whenever you’re trippin’. My mom was right. School was the hard part that was done, and it was time to celebrate. Honestly, those last few weeks before graduation I was a hot mess. Worrying is unproductive. All the uncertainty I was stressed about was pointless. Throughout the summer I would continue to hit even bigger emotional waves.

Mid-summer was hard. There were lots of tears, frustration, and plenty of disappointment. Now that I think about it, I might have been depressed and actually functioning like nothing was wrong. Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy some of the summer. I went to the beach, movies, shopping, and chilled with different friends, but after awhile, I was ready for some changes. Although transition can be uncomfortable, I wish I hadn’t wasted so much time worried about what wasn’t happening yet, and handled things better than I did. If I could get a do-over, I would’ve definitely handled things much differently. I would’ve told myself, “You do know that everything will be okay, right?” 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far