Skip to main content

Sit Down, Be Humble

Kendrick Lamar is one of the most socially conscious artists of our time. Awhile back, he dropped a song titled – Humble. And I love it. I think his work is incredible and Humble is a reminder to people who are full of themselves, to chill. Kendrick Lamar is great at this. One of the things I admire about him is although he probably knows he’s dope, he doesn’t have to go around bragging about it. See where I’m going with this?
                                    
If you don’t, go listen to Humble a handful of times and you may get the picture.

Whenever someone’s paid me a compliment, most of the time, I usually say thanks or please, stop lol but I’m mindful not to let myself get too carried away or grow a massive ego, because I’m very much aware of the consequences of doing so. Most people who usually, “Have it going on” don’t talk too much about their accomplishments, what they do for a living, or how amazing they are. It’s not that they don’t know these things, it’s just that they’re not caught up in the praise, crowds, or what other people think. After all, the truly great never have to tell others how great they are. It just shows.

Unfortunately, I see a lot of people letting compliments, careers, opportunities, or status go to their heads and ultimately experience an avoidable downfall had they opted to sit down and be humble. There’s nothing wrong with being confident, but never get confidence twisted with arrogance. Besides, humbleness is attractive. At least I think so. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...