Skip to main content

Reflection

An old journal entry from 12/27/16

I don’t want to…
Suffocate in sameness.
Waste time wandering.
Settle in any area of my life (career, love, experiences, and opportunities)
Make compromises that hinder my blessings/walk with God.

I do want to…
Live a whole, full life as a single woman before ever settling down.
Travel/see more of the world.
Fulfill my God-given purpose and destiny.
Be in a position to help others.
Break painful cycles/habits in my family.
Inspire the next generation of believers.

This year I made a choice to work on becoming a better me. Overall, it’s been a challenging year, yet, impressive and transformative. At the end of 2016 I wrote out a list of different things I wanted to accomplish, and I’m happy to report that with the exception of a handful of things, I’ve been able to cross almost everything off the list. One evening I went through some of my old journals, and noticed something cool when I read through what 2016-2017 was like. I couldn’t believe how much I changed and experienced growth. I was dealing with some personal family issues, strains on some relationships that had ran their course, and worried about how things were going to turn out. After reading some old entries, I could see how the enemy was strategically plotting to ruin me, and how God was using different situations to draw out the best in me. It wasn’t and still isn’t easy, but I’m blessed to share that I’ve been able to restore some relationships with different family members, confront other family members about their destructive behaviors, and made a decision for myself, to break the bad family patterns that have carried on for far too long. I also let go of some friendships that had either ran their course and/or weren’t solid to begin with, while still being able to restore a few. I also managed to finally graduate from college and land a full-time position, in which I’m able to maximize a number of my God-given gifts and listen, help, serve, and encourage others in rewarding ways. This year, I also questioned my Christianity and what it means to be a real Christian, after going head to head with some sketchy saved folks, all while taking a spiritual beat down that broke my heart in places I didn’t think could hurt, but, after some communication, forgiveness, prayer, and healing, I’ve been able to rebuild just fine. The year is not over yet, and with just a few months left, it’ll be interesting to see how things end.

Sometimes, it takes a look back to see how far you’ve come.



Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...