Skip to main content

Once You Go Black…

There’s a saying that goes, “Once you go black, you never go back” referencing those outside of the African- American race having a preference for being intimately involved with African-American men and women. Honestly, I don’t like the saying. While I have no issues with interracial relationships, I find non African-Americans who are too extra about their preference for being attracted and/or romantically linked to us – annoying. Since when did being with someone black become trendy? The first time I noticed this was during a seemingly innocent interaction. I was out on the town with a friend, and a guy took notice of me. He was obviously shy, because he sent his friend over to be his wing man. To give you more of a visual, both of these guys were white. When the guy that was too scared to talk to me sent his friend over, my friend and I brushed them off. We all ended up running into each other again, only this time around the shy guy’s sister approached me. She asked me if I was married, to which I replied, “no” and then she said, “My brother’s had his eyes on you the whole night. He loooooves black women!” I could see she had been drinking, so I didn’t think much of it, but I decided to be open and give her brother a chance. He was cute and really friendly. We talked and things ended there.


Long after that encounter, I began hearing comments from other acquaintances, colleagues, and casual friends about their preferences for dating black that rubbed me the wrong way. I’ve never stated having a preference for any particular race. I’ve always been pretty open, but the problem I have with the “once you go black” reference is that it can come off as offensive. I’m not a fetish, fantasy, or a trend for some guy that has a thing for black women. While it’s flattering being approached and appreciated for who I am, I never want someone’s fascination with me to be predicated upon a self-seeking desire to just be with me, or, any of my other fellow African-American brothers and sisters, because of stereotypes and bragging rights about being with someone black. That’s so messed up on so many levels. We’re not fetishes, fantasies, or a trend. We’re human beings who just happen to be another race. Be with whoever you want to be with, just make sure it’s for the right reasons. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...