Skip to main content

Once You Go Black…

There’s a saying that goes, “Once you go black, you never go back” referencing those outside of the African- American race having a preference for being intimately involved with African-American men and women. Honestly, I don’t like the saying. While I have no issues with interracial relationships, I find non African-Americans who are too extra about their preference for being attracted and/or romantically linked to us – annoying. Since when did being with someone black become trendy? The first time I noticed this was during a seemingly innocent interaction. I was out on the town with a friend, and a guy took notice of me. He was obviously shy, because he sent his friend over to be his wing man. To give you more of a visual, both of these guys were white. When the guy that was too scared to talk to me sent his friend over, my friend and I brushed them off. We all ended up running into each other again, only this time around the shy guy’s sister approached me. She asked me if I was married, to which I replied, “no” and then she said, “My brother’s had his eyes on you the whole night. He loooooves black women!” I could see she had been drinking, so I didn’t think much of it, but I decided to be open and give her brother a chance. He was cute and really friendly. We talked and things ended there.


Long after that encounter, I began hearing comments from other acquaintances, colleagues, and casual friends about their preferences for dating black that rubbed me the wrong way. I’ve never stated having a preference for any particular race. I’ve always been pretty open, but the problem I have with the “once you go black” reference is that it can come off as offensive. I’m not a fetish, fantasy, or a trend for some guy that has a thing for black women. While it’s flattering being approached and appreciated for who I am, I never want someone’s fascination with me to be predicated upon a self-seeking desire to just be with me, or, any of my other fellow African-American brothers and sisters, because of stereotypes and bragging rights about being with someone black. That’s so messed up on so many levels. We’re not fetishes, fantasies, or a trend. We’re human beings who just happen to be another race. Be with whoever you want to be with, just make sure it’s for the right reasons. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far