Skip to main content

Cult Christian

When I was seven I accepted Christ into my heart and life. From that day forward, I was lit for the Lord. I’d grown up in my childhood church and remained there until my mid-teens until a massive conflict occurred, leading my family and a number of others to part ways. After that, my family and I visited other church homes until we landed on a place of our own, and the rest was history – or so I thought.

When it was time for college, I looked into attending Christian schools. I was eager, yet, so blind and naïve to what lied ahead. I saw things happen and had experiences that made me question if I was still saved. I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen everything from spiritual manipulation, legalistic force and practices, questionable leadership, abusive power, and shady behavior in the church, and was surprised to see more and more of these kinds of behaviors as an adult.

“Surely, you should have known these things would happen”, a confidant shared with me.

“I didn’t know it’d be like this”, I responded. “I really didn’t.”

This year I was particularly heartbroken as I went head to head with some believers who were doing things I was no longer going to accept or remain silent about. I started calling people out and it wasn’t pretty. I lost some friends, opportunities, and walked away from some places I never thought I’d part ways with for good. Once I acknowledged what I’d seen, the people I’d met, and some of the places I’d frequented, I choose to heal. I also chose to forgive and move on with my life. But I also grew a little wiser and a bit savage in the process – in the best kinds of ways, though.

My thoughts on everything I’ve experienced between the time of being a little girl falling in love with Christ, to a grown woman still growing more each day?

Anytime any ministry or religious organization has a legalistic approach to handling people or conflict, in addition to spiritual manipulation and questionable practices, those behaviors are borderline cult practices. Especially, if the people following are being influenced in ways that are not helping to love and embrace others from all walks of life, but instead, are criticizing, hurting, and marginalizing others. My desire is to be the kind of Christian that represents the kingdom well. I will be spiritually woke, follow the Lord’s teachings, and love.

“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” – John 15:12 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...