Skip to main content

Cult Christian

When I was seven I accepted Christ into my heart and life. From that day forward, I was lit for the Lord. I’d grown up in my childhood church and remained there until my mid-teens until a massive conflict occurred, leading my family and a number of others to part ways. After that, my family and I visited other church homes until we landed on a place of our own, and the rest was history – or so I thought.

When it was time for college, I looked into attending Christian schools. I was eager, yet, so blind and naïve to what lied ahead. I saw things happen and had experiences that made me question if I was still saved. I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen everything from spiritual manipulation, legalistic force and practices, questionable leadership, abusive power, and shady behavior in the church, and was surprised to see more and more of these kinds of behaviors as an adult.

“Surely, you should have known these things would happen”, a confidant shared with me.

“I didn’t know it’d be like this”, I responded. “I really didn’t.”

This year I was particularly heartbroken as I went head to head with some believers who were doing things I was no longer going to accept or remain silent about. I started calling people out and it wasn’t pretty. I lost some friends, opportunities, and walked away from some places I never thought I’d part ways with for good. Once I acknowledged what I’d seen, the people I’d met, and some of the places I’d frequented, I choose to heal. I also chose to forgive and move on with my life. But I also grew a little wiser and a bit savage in the process – in the best kinds of ways, though.

My thoughts on everything I’ve experienced between the time of being a little girl falling in love with Christ, to a grown woman still growing more each day?

Anytime any ministry or religious organization has a legalistic approach to handling people or conflict, in addition to spiritual manipulation and questionable practices, those behaviors are borderline cult practices. Especially, if the people following are being influenced in ways that are not helping to love and embrace others from all walks of life, but instead, are criticizing, hurting, and marginalizing others. My desire is to be the kind of Christian that represents the kingdom well. I will be spiritually woke, follow the Lord’s teachings, and love.

“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” – John 15:12 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far