Skip to main content

Boundaries

When I was five years old I was afraid to speak. As a matter of fact, my kindergarten teacher reached out to my parents and expressed concerns over how fragile she thought I was. Whenever I noticed something I should’ve spoken up about or was upset about something, I’d remain silent and say nothing. Because of this, I never fully learned to establish healthy boundaries, which later caused a lot of issues. Now, I’m doing the hard work to learn how to be consistent with setting appropriate boundaries in my life. Because I didn’t learn to set boundaries early, a lot of things happened that may have otherwise been prevented, if I was able to communicate things more directly and clearly. I used to feel guilty and heavily burdened not feeling I could speak about things that were upsetting, communicate why I felt the way I did, and be okay with telling people the word, no. Whenever I wanted to say no or be upfront about something, different family members and friends in my life would withdraw, which I never recognized was a detriment to me and also a form of control and manipulation. Withdrawals from others, struck fear in me of being abandoned or not liked or loved, and caused me to be compliant in areas where it should have been perfectly fine for me to speak up, say no, choose differently, and be comfortable making my own decisions.

Failure to do these things in childhood, significantly impacted a number of relationships in my life, and it’s taken 22 years to understand what the problem was. Most adult issues stem from childhood issues that were either never confronted or fully resolved, and I began noticing some unpleasant patterns. I continually accepted one-sided friendships, unavailable and withdrawing guys, carried guilt when telling people, no, even when it caused me harm, complied just to keep the peace, prioritized other people’s demands, needs, and wants over my own, and would say nothing and grow resentful. I never understood why I felt resentment until I could see where the problem was – a five year old little girl being afraid to speak, out of fear of others withdrawing.

Once I realized how problematic this was and where the root of it took place, I knew I needed help and made a decision - it's time to change this.

The first thing I did was pray. I asked God, “How did I get this way?” Once I did that, it was like things clicked. I was able to pinpoint what needed to be fixed and see what areas needed work moving forward. I can’t control other people, but, I can control myself. If someone withdraws from me for setting boundaries, it doesn’t mean something is wrong with me. Often, it may be the other person. I can’t make someone stay connected to me, and I can choose freely without feeling guilty or afraid.

I believe there’s a common misconception about establishing boundaries being selfish, which isn't selfish at all. I often used to question, “Why am I the one feeling uneasy because of what someone else wants?” It’s interesting that people have no problem putting their demands and requests on others, without realizing the harm they’re causing. However, if one doesn’t speak up and set boundaries, which person is really at fault: the one that’s demanding, or the one silently nursing turmoil?

It’s hard learning to set appropriate boundaries after spending years, in my case, 22 years, of being a doormat, going with the flow, and not fully speaking up. I’ve experienced family and friends express hurt over the changes, which is tough, but boundaries where there weren’t boundaries before will do this, and I’m prepared for that. It’s challenging, but I do feel weights being lifted of no longer carrying things I’m not meant to carry, and learning how beautiful and peaceful a life with boundaries can be. I’ve been taking baby steps, but I see progress. I get to experience freedom in a way I haven’t before, and it’s been worth it.

If you’re having boundaries issues or have had them, a great resource to check out is Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. It’s incredibly resourceful.

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far