Skip to main content

Speak Those Things

I tried an experiment that seemed a little ridiculous at the time, but began to change my mood and my focus in the best kind of ways. I grabbed a stack of post-it notes, wrote out different things I wanted in and for my life, and posted them in a place where I’d see them every single day. I also spoke these things out loud to myself and noticed that as I spoke them, I began to believe them, and slowly but surely, began to see how they started to manifest in my life. This stuff really works. I also topped it all off with scripture. Romans 4:17 reads, “Calleth those things which be not as though they were.” Sometimes, I’ve waited for things to actually happen before I decided to get excited and celebrate, but now, as crazy as it may seem, I celebrate before arrival dates. I’ve professed all sorts of things over my life, and while all of them haven’t happened just yet, I have a spirit that waits in expectation while God delivers. If you want something in life, why not speak and believe big for it? You may be pleasantly surprised with the results.


And a side note: While I’m all for believing before seeing and speaking what you want into existence, I don’t recommend announcing everything to everyone, or rather posting your news all over social media of what’s about to happen for you. I see people do this all the time, only for something to happen and hold up their plans, job interviews, closing on their homes, or any other exciting things that may be happening in their lives. Stay quiet and low key until things are official, and then proceed as you’d like. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...