Skip to main content

Good Selfish, Bad Selfish

I used to think being selfish was a bad thing, until I learned that there are two kinds of selfishness. Good selfish and bad selfish. Sometimes, being selfish can be a good thing and other times it can be bad, only because bad selfishness is usually accompanied with icky and off putting vibes. I believe being selfish in a way that puts you first, so that you’re able to be in the right state of mind to be present and helpful to others is great. You can’t pour from an empty glass, so if you’re not putting yourself first by doing things that help you be a better person, like, taking time to recharge, having personal me time to decompress, and making decisions for your life that will take it in a positive direction, you’re not honoring yourself, which means you’ll be less likely to help others. Also learning to say the word no is necessary too. I used to feel really bad whenever I declined someone’s request or invitation to something that would require my time, energy, and/or money. My biggest fear was what if they get mad at me or what if they don’t like me, anymore? Now, I don’t care so much, because that fear was a bit silly. If I’m going to be the best version of myself it will mean saying no to different things, instead of yes. In Don’t Settle for Safe Sarah Jakes Roberts says, “If you can’t handle my no, it’s because you’re too comfortable abusing my yes.” Know this, if you say yes to everything, you risk draining yourself. As far as bad selfishness goes, being completely inflexible all the time, having to have things go your way all the time, and not being considerate of other people are great examples of being negatively selfish. If you're not careful, that kind of selfishness can cost you valuable relationships and opportunities to be a blessing, and to be blessed. I wanted to note the differences between these forms of selfishness, because I’ve experienced and noticed how some people are comfortable attempting to put others on guilt trips about this, without recognizing how much good and bad selfishness differ. And selfishness truly has differences.  

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far