Skip to main content

Saved, Sexy, and Criticized

Your shorts are too short.
Your dress is too short.
That blouse is too revealing.
That dress is inappropriate.
You have a two-piece bathing suit? Sinner.


Along with wincing stares and stare downs. Ugh. 

So, I’ve been pulled over by the fashion police one too many times, and with each prudish, judgmental, and sometimes, downright offensive comment, I’ve managed to bounce back and get on with my life just fine. As a woman on the receiving end of this, I do wonder do some people not have anything better to do than to be worried about what I’m wearing? That said, I’m taking a stand for all woman kind, and especially any and all Christian women who’ve ever found themselves in a similar situation. I will be their voice. I like clothes. I also love looking nice, and I believe fashion is a great way to express one’s self. As a believer, I do have boundaries but the thing is, being criticized for how I dress and worst of all, judged, is unsettling at times. 

First of all, I’m tall, so most of my shorts and dresses may appear to be short because of my height. Plus, if you factor in my curves and the fact that I have a nice derrière along with a model-like physique, then of course my clothes fit differently. I’m also a beach girl, so most of my blouses are cute and tank toppy. And as far as wearing a two-piece bathing suit goes, I could care less what anyone thinks about that. It’s not a sin, and I’m not a sinner for wearing one, and owning a bunch of them.

I believe that Christian women can be sexy, and unapologetic about it. Christian women can totally embody, possess, and have sex-appeal, and shouldn’t be ashamed of that. I know sexuality and things like sex-appeal are subject matters that the church and the religious shun, but you can still be saved, slay all day, and should not be shamed for that. Yes, wisdom is the principal thing (Proverbs 4:7) but being a believer that takes jabs at another believer, because of what the other is wearing is wrong. I could literally walk around in a paper bag and still turn heads. Excuse me for being attractive lol, but since when did being an attractive Christian woman become a bad thing? I don’t think God loves me any less than a woman that’s fully covered. I’m still a believer. When I first started experiencing this, I’d feel so ashamed. Now, I simply laugh, and shake it off.

I can remember two public, Christian figures that faced similar judgment from the church when they stepped out in outfits that were deemed sexy. The first was Meagan Good (who’s literally so gorgeous, she can make almost anything look good) who wore a blue, plunging dress to the BET awards one year, and got massive amounts of shade thrown at her. And the other was gospel singer, Erica Campbell, who was under fire for wearing a beautiful, figure hugging white dress on her album cover, which set off a bunch of believers who felt her outfit was ungodly. Crazy as it sounds, this kind of stuff happens all the time.

I could shrink, put myself in a box or wear sweat pants to the beach lol, but I’m not going to do any of that. If someone has a problem with the way I dress, stay upset, I guess. I’m still a Christian, and my attire doesn’t negate that.


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far