Skip to main content

Haters

I have haters. It’s odd but I guess I’d better get used to dealing with them if I plan to keep winning. What’s interesting about all this is I’ve never considered myself the kind of person that would have haters. I mean, I already know I’m blessed, gifted, smart, beautiful (both inside and out), and not to mention so, so dope lol but the fact that anyone would find me intimidating or threatening is always a surprise to me. It’s intriguing to embody that level of power. Since I have it though, might as well learn how to wield it.

Jealousy is an even more complicated thing I never imagined being up against. Crazy as it seems, I do have people in my life that at some point, have been or either are jealous of me, and it’s awful. Jealousy is cruel. Now, before I go on, I’m not having a Mean Girls, Gretchen Wieners moment thinking, I’m sorry that people are so jealous of me, but I can’t help it that I’m popular. I’m not popular.  It’s nothing like that, but dealing with hate and jealousy are heavy burdens to bear. Especially, when I've been the kind of person that has cheered for others on the sidelines only to see the cheering not be returned. All of this became painfully obvious and apparent to me when…

Things would get silent as things got better for me. It’s funny how people pull away when you’re on the come up. Spoiler: Haters aren’t always who you think they’ll be. Eventually, they’ll become more apparent to you as things change. It’s sad but true.

I finished school, got a college degree, and began embracing new opportunities (all of which I worked my behind off for.) People hate and want the perks, but don’t want to do the work. I’ll never understand that.

I created my own writing platform. I kept getting turned away from other places and thought, why don’t I just do my own thing? If I don’t believe in myself, why would anyone else? I have the ability to create content, and bring other dope writers on board when the time is right.

There has been a guy. Because, you know, there’s always a guy that seems to destroy the sacred bonds of sisterhood, which should never be the case. I’ve had some experiences that definitely brought some hater-like vibes. At first, I wondered if maybe I was trippin’ about this, until it kept happening. So, apparently, if a guy is a Christian, who also happens to be relatively normal (normal meaning a non-creeper) smart, funny, cute, and available, then the likelihood of many girls calling imaginary “dibs” on him will happen. I must have missed the memo about non-creeper Christian guys being in short supply. This has also happened to me with non-Christian guys, too, but I was appalled to experience this amongst a community of believers. Anyways, if the guy might be checking for you, even if this is at first oblivious to you, and obvious to others, then you’ll likely get the cold shoulder, winces full of shade, and be the girl the other girls don’t like all because you happened to catch the eye of the available stud. Believe it or not, this kind of foolishness happens to me often. I can’t help if I’m the chosen one (totally kidding…or am I?) but in all seriousness, this is uncool. Being at odds over a guy is lame.  

I finally made the decision to choose and love myself - confidently, authentically, and unapologetically. If anyone can’t handle that, they don’t deserve to be a part of my life.

By the way, to any and every salty person I’ve ever encountered, how does that salt taste? I really want to know lol. Again, I'm kidding. Being salty isn’t a good look for anyone.

But on a more serious note, all of this has taught me three key things I’ll always keep in mind…

Blessings, opportunities, and just being who you are can create envy.
You can’t be friends or chill with someone who wants your life.
It’s better to keep much of what you’re doing, working on, or planning to do on the down low. You don’t need any hate or jealousy contaminating your grind.


You’re welcome :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far