Skip to main content

3 C’s

I’ve often sat with the question, who are my real friends, Lord? I have about two confidants, and many constituents and comrades. Being able to recognize the differences between the confidants, constituents, and comrades in my life is something that has served me well, and making the mistake of confusing the three have been the  source of some of my biggest heartbreaks. I learned of these three categories after listening to a sermon from T.D. Jakes about being grounded in friendships. In his sermon he mentioned the importance of knowing the differences between confidants, constituents, and comrades in life. I also remember reading about them in his book, Destiny. I got a refresher course on the topic, and also took the time to take some much needed inventory on different people in my own life. In his sermon, T.D. Jakes said something I’ll never forget. He said, “You have all three (confidants, constituents, and comrades) but woe be unto you if you get them confused.” Please know the differences. You’ll quickly learn who your real friends are, who the one’s are that simply share similar interests, and those that are only along for a ride. In Destiny, T.D. Jakes explains each…

Confidants are the people who will love you unconditionally. They are into you. They have your back whether you’re up or down. They are with you for the long haul. You will have very few of them in your lifetime, and if you find two or three in your entire lifetime, you’re blessed.

Constituents aren’t into you, but are into what you’re for. They’ll walk with you and work with you, but the relationship will end there. They’re not going to stay for the long haul. They’ll walk away if they meet someone else who can get them further faster.

Comrades aren’t for you or against you. They’re just against what you’re against. Comrades are strange bedfellows. They usually come around to take on a common enemy, and once the enemy is defeated or a mission is complete, they’ll walk away from you.


It’s important to prioritize these relationships because if you don’t, you’ll mess yourself up. Categorizing these three never registered with me until I learned about them, and once I did, I examined all the people I’ve ever known or encountered, and realized I really don’t have a lot of friends. I no longer confuse former classmates, people I’ve met in passing, chilled with for a bit, co-workers, social media friends, or anyone else as confidants. Most of them are constituents and comrades. I always pray about this, because I’ve fallen short and know the damage that can come with confusing the three. I hope this encourages you to take a good look at the people in your own life, and know the differences too. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...