Skip to main content

She Tried It

I just think a certain group of people don’t like the police, she said. I don’t think that most people dislike like them, except for a certain group of people. The person who said this was white. And it didn’t end there. She also felt comfortable to express this thought, because she was once in an interracial relationship with a black man, and had two mixed children from that relationship, so she felt her stance was accurate with no room for disagreement. She thought she was right, and that those of us who disagreed with her were wrong.

I wasn’t going to say anything (as I don’t enjoy conflict, let alone conversations about race or the issues minorities have with law enforcement) but I couldn’t stay quiet. Not this time.


One day a colleague of mine (who’s black) shared that he wouldn’t want to be a cop and that it’s the most hated job on the planet. He also went on to share why, and his reasons went without saying, at least from my point of view. Immediately, I was able to empathize with him because I knew why he felt the way he did. For a moment, a deafening silence fell over the room. He, myself, another young black woman, and a couple of young white women happened to be present as this conversation was about to take off. I said, I could go in with what you’re saying, but because of the setting we’re in, I’m going to chill. Now, outside of this setting? That’s a different story. There’s a time and place for everything. He nodded and I was trying to change the subject because I could feel things about to tense up. After he shared his thoughts, the woman I mentioned above said, I just think a certain group of people don’t like the police. I don’t think that most people dislike like them, except for a certain group of people. Naturally, I thought, by a certain group, she means black people. She also went on to explain that officers profile people because of the crime in the areas they live in, and not necessarily because of the way someone looks. I was trying to focus on the task in front of me, but after she said that, I knew I had to speak up. Before I could though, the guy who sparked the conversation told her, I completely disagree with you. A lot of people are scared of the police, don’t like them, and live in fear about the same people who are in those positions that are supposed to protect us. So, she pulled out her phone and tried to make a point of proving him wrong. 

Immediately I thought, dude, she doesn’t get it and she won’t. She’s coming from a white perspective and because she’s not black, she’s not able to understand the situation. As I listened to them both openly go back and forth, I jumped in and said, I don’t believe people should fear the police, but I get it. Not all cops are bad. I have friends who are married to cops who seem like great guys, but, if and when you’re a minority that’s ever been profiled, marginalized, or discriminated against, you know exactly what it’s like to have the views you do about what's happening in the world, because we live it almost every day because of the skin we’re in. I’m brown. That’s not going to change and I already know because of that, I will (and have continually been) profiled, marginalized, and discriminated against – at school, the public, workplaces, anywhere. After I said that, the guy replied, you basically covered everything I was trying to say. 

After I said what I said, the other young black woman shared an upsetting story about how she and her family were profiled by the police once, after they were pulled over on suspicion that ultimately turned out to be invalid. Her story was terrifying to hear, but it was an example of why a lot of black people feel the way they do, and with good reason. So, the other woman who kept trying to challenge this opinion quickly started apologizing, but still stood her ground on her stance as well. I chimed in again, saying, when someone has never shared the same experience as you, you can’t expect them to understand where you’re coming from about different things. I once heard that no one can relate to a drug addict, like a former drug addict and that no one can relate to someone who’s been raped, like a rape survivor. Know why? Because these groups of people have shared some of the same experiences and can empathize with what the same person who’s been through what they’ve been through, on a level that someone who hasn’t, can’t. As the conversation ended, everybody eased back into the day. There were no hard feelings, and I definitely don’t think the white woman in the debate was racist. I just think her limited perspective blinded her. And the fact that she’d been in an interracial relationship and had mixed kids wasn’t something I felt neither swayed nor impressed by. In fact, I’m leery of people in interracial relationships who try to play that card anyway, because just because you’re with someone black, doesn’t mean you fully understand what it’s like to be black. It’s almost like hearing non-minorities claim they’re not racist because they have that one black friend or have a preference to just date black guys or girls…(that’s a different story for another time) but my point is, don’t expect people to “get” you or why you feel the way you feel, when they have never shared your experiences. It’d be impossible for them to understand why you feel the way you do. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far