Skip to main content

Early Twenties, Late Twenties

What was cute, funny, and okay in my early twenties is no longer acceptable as I’m getting older. When I think about some of the fun yet crazy, stupid, and sometimes downright reckless things I did in my early twenties, I think about how cool it’d be to have a time machine, just so I could go back and do things differently. I was very immature, naïve, and did a lot of wandering. Now, at 27, I’m still growing but remembering some important lessons I’ll never forget. In my early twenties, I’d do things and put up with a lot of different stuff that I’d never stand for now. Sadly, I see a lot of people around my age or older who don’t want to grow up. A lot of them seem fine hanging around the same people who support their immaturity, while making unwise choices, and refusing to grow up. When I was in my early twenties I had an immature and unrealistic outlook on things like friendship, money, guys, dating, and finding love and I also dived into things that could’ve destroyed my witness as a Christian. Fortunately, I’ve been able to learn from my mistakes. I serve a merciful God that loved my enough to guide me in a better way, in addition to having parents who loved me enough to tell me the truth, even when it hurt and even when I was being stubborn. For the record -- you’re never too grown to listen to your parents. Trust me. When it came to friendships, money, dudes, and bad choices, here’s what I experienced in those early years…

Friendship – I didn’t surround myself with the best people in my early twenties. A lot of the time I stayed in friendships way past their expiration dates because I was a coward. I knew it was time to move on but like most people, I was loyal to dysfunction because it was familiar. I was close with people who were bad influences. While I did make the choice to partake in different things like backsliding, bar hopping, late nights out, and gossip, I did those things because my friends at the time were doing them, and I didn’t want to lose them or feel like I was missing out. I’ve been saved since I was seven, but my relationship with the Lord was struggling back then, and I needed to be with some grounded Christian friends. There’s nothing wrong with having non-Christian friends, but if your relationships with them are leading you to compromise in ways that hinder your relationship with the Lord, then it may be time to reevaluate who you’re spending time with. Even in the midst of my very brief stint as a wild child, I desired something more and eventually got it but not without hitting rock bottom, first. Two years ago, I went out bar hopping for the last time. It was one of the worst nights of my life and I haven’t been out partying since. Now, I much prefer quiet dinners, chill nights in, and keeping things as low key as possible.

Money – A lot of twenty-something’s handle money carelessly and don’t even get me started on credit cards. I’m working on a piece about money management that I’ll drop soon, but the best thing you can and should do with money in your twenties is to save as much as possible. If you must have a credit card, have just one and don’t rack up charges with things you don’t need. You have to pay that money back. Months ago, I paid off a credit card I mishandled when I was 20, and I made myself a promise that it’ll never happen again. Be careful how you handle your money, seek wise counsel, and definitely learn to budget. Delayed gratification is a dope approach when it comes to money and financial freedom. Most people know this even if they make poor financial choices.

Guys, Dating, and Finding Love – For a long time I thought I wanted to be married early and thought that everyone but me was coupled off and getting hitched. I was wrong and I’m glad I changed my mind. When I was a freshman in college, a lot of the girls were thirsty to get married right away and a number of them did, only later to be separated, divorced, or find that marriage wasn’t the fairy tale they imagined. I thought their mindsets were weird, until I thought maybe I should have the same desire too. There was a lengthy season when I wasn’t attending college (due to financial setbacks) and I thought I could always get married. At least I’d have something going for myself. I can’t believe there was a time that I ever thought so little of myself.  I didn’t go out on my first official date until I was 21 and when the first guy I fell for showed interest, I thought he was my future husband. In my defense he did mention wanting to wife me but it was ultimately all talk. He knew I was Christian and he studied me, and played me. Since he was older and appeared to have something going for himself, I was excited about us having a future together, even though my family and some friends shared on multiple occasions, we think you’re too good for him, and looking back, I really was. Long story short, it didn’t last. It took me a long time to get over it but it taught me to slow down, and to not approach a guy with the mindset of he could be the one. There were other guys that came after him and things got even more complicated. At the time, I was the only one out of my group of friends that was celibate (I know this sounds like a foreign idea these days but I believe it’s the best way to go…to each their own, though), so because I wasn’t getting busy, most of the guys that showed interest would eventually bounce when they realized things wouldn’t get that far (which said a lot about them.) I believe that if a guy can exercise self-control in that area, he probably knows how to have self-control across the board, which is incredibly attractive. I’m just saying. I know better now.

When you know better, you tend to do better. Now that I’m older, I’m not perfect but I’m doing better. I’m learning to approach my friendships better by choosing wisely, and being selective about who I spend my time with and why. I also aim to make better decisions with my money, and I don’t waste time dating or entertaining guys I have zero interest in. I also still listen to my parents, and go to them and/or another trusted adult that’s wise that can help me navigate through this time in my life. I love being in my twenties and while I wish I’d learned the things I know now, earlier, I’m not certain that I’d have a better mindset if I hadn’t made the mistakes I did. I have a number of friends who are younger than me, that remind me so much of how I used to be and sometimes when I see them repeating some of my former mistakes, I want to step in and stop them, but I’ve learned to back off. On one occasion I had one of my younger friends bark at me, you’re not my mom!  So, I backed up. Some people just have to learn on their own, no matter how much you don’t want to see them mess up. I’m still learning and growing, and feel like I’m growing into a great place. I can only see things getting better and if my twenties have been this nice, I can’t wait to see what my thirties will bring.


When I was a child, I talked like a child. I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became an adult, I put childish ways behind me – 1 Corinthians 13:11 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far