Skip to main content

Dude, That’s Not What I Meant

One of the things I can count on as a writer and a human being is sometimes, being misunderstood. Whenever it happens it’s usually not comfortable and in my mind I think that’s not what I meant, but these days, people can easily misinterpret anything you say, do, and/or post.

Consider this example – The Black Lives Matter movement was built with great intentions only to be flipped by some people who are under the impression that anytime someone says, Black Lives Matter, it must mean that others lives don’t (which is definitely not the case.) See what I mean? People like to spin and flip stuff real fast, and it’s crazy how often it happens.

When I receive backlash on anything I’ve said, written, or reposted on social media, one side of me would love to tell people who seem to have a problem, “Please, go have several seats…” but the mature side of me can recognize that clapping back at others isn’t worth risking the power, position, and influence I’ve worked hard for. It’s especially not worth it to go back and forth with people who, quite frankly, aren’t worth a response or reaction. I’ve experienced and shared different things that taught me how to better handle these situations. Brace yourself - some of them may cause giggles…

I’m a huge cheerleader for single women. While I believe singleness should be celebrated, I pulled back on posting different things about it on social media after a married social media friend, along with some other domesticated twenty-something’s, felt that my celebration of singleness, and a refusal to settle was attacking the institution of marriage. That wasn’t my intent but it was an example of some people taking things the wrong way. Just because I advocate for single women, doesn’t mean I have a disliking towards marriage or anyone in a relationship. Would you believe something similar happened again, after I posted an insightful Cosmopolitan article about not participating in the popular fad of gender reveal parties? Crazy.

On one occasion, I had an opportunity to write for a platform that seemed great at the time. When I submitted my original piece I knew it would be edited (as this is the case with most writing submissions) but was appalled to see the title of it, edited in a way that was a false representation of me. When I saw it, it rubbed me the wrong way. The title of the piece I wrote could easily give anyone who read it, the wrong impression. I felt like I should have been contacted before it was changed and published, but I learned a valuable lesson from that experience, and it was to be very selective about where I submit my writing material in the future.

On another occasion when I was in high school, I was publicly open about my faith and commitment to the Lord. One day the topic of sex came up during a class discussion, and one of my teachers asked my class what we thought about different things like, contraception and protection. I made a statement about abstinence and said that sex should be saved until marriage. I didn’t say that to bash anyone who was having sex, I just knew for myself, having sex before marriage wasn’t an option. When I said that, a pregnant classmate got upset with me and actually gave me the middle finger. I guess she was offended but again, it was a misunderstanding. I understand everyone has different beliefs and views on the topic, but this encounter served as another valuable lesson. 


Sometimes, no matter how honest, positive, and encouraging you try to be, people can and will take things the wrong way. As a writer, I can recognize that being in the writing world requires a tough skin, or else you won’t make it very far. Criticism comes with the territory and knowing that ahead of time, helps to weather any incoming misunderstandings.

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far