Skip to main content

Discontent

Discontent is defined as a lack of contentment and dissatisfaction with one’s circumstances. Weighing contentment and discontent came to my mind some time ago, and I thought about all the things I’ve wanted (some of which I’ve obtained) that I thought I’d be content with once I got them. Turns out, I was wrong. I’m not discontented about anything at the moment, but after digging deeper into the “why?” of everything I’ve worked towards, wanted, and received I realized there’s nothing that could ever make me feel like I’ve arrived in life. My contentment isn’t and shouldn’t be based on material things, accomplishments, status, or what I can get, because I’m often reminded that none of those things will ever make me feel whole. Only God can do that. I wrote out a list of different things and asked myself, “Why do you want this and what are you getting out of it?” My list consisted of the following…

A college degree – for knowledge, education, and a ticket to open doors, opportunities, and independence.

A great; well paying career – to be able to take care of myself. I believe every woman should be financially independent. Unfortunately, I’ve seen the consequences of women who haven’t, and a number of them end up stuck in situations or relationships they don’t want to be in or feel safe to leave, because they’re either unemployed or dependent upon someone else’s income. That will never happen to me.

Love with a significant other – to share my love and life with a partner/best friend.

A ring and a wedding – I originally thought I wanted these things because it seemed to make sense for me, only because it’s what I saw family and friends do, but I changed my mind. I’ve seen these things get tainted too much with pressure, bad motives, and a spirit of idol worship. At this point, I’d prefer to elope should things ever get serious enough for a long-term commitment.

Have more travel opportunities – to explore more of the world and gain new experiences.

Be wealthy – to be able to give, grow, and build more.

Have a baby – to have my legacy carried on, but it really depends on who I end up with. Children are not a must have for me. I can live with/without the motherhood experience.

Be a writer – to operate in my purpose and inspire, encourage, and change lives.

Being able to figure out my why’s helped open my eyes to what makes sense for me. I think it’s unwise to go by what everyone else seems to be doing, or what appears to look good in the lives of others. Exploring what fits for me, makes sense to me. All the things I’ve listed would never define me. They’re simply additions, yet so many people have the whole notion of, if I could just do this or get this, I’d be happy and/or content… twisted. My list has changed so much and I’ve watched God strip a lot of things away from it, add more things I haven’t listed, and have Him teach me to desire more of what He desires for me, even when it seems too wild or out of reach to receive. I’ve struggled with discontent before, but knowing I can release those struggles to God, and be in a place of contentment that comes from fully trusting Him, gives me a level of peace that’s indescribable.


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...