Skip to main content

Delayed Gratification

I believe the thought, “I should’ve waited…” crosses people’s minds all the time. I’ve sat with this thought myself, when I think about different things I wish I would’ve approached differently, knowing what I know now. I’ve discovered how unwise it is to make decisions based off emotions, off of what your family and friends are doing, or rather appear to be doing, and have seen how detrimental not waiting has been in the lives of different people I know. It’s a constant reminder to me, of the importance in doing things God’s way, and the wonderful gift of delayed gratification. Delayed gratification is defined as resisting a temptation for a smaller and immediate award, while enduring and holding out for a bigger and better reward. Basically, short term sacrifices for a long term benefit kind of thing. I believe that delayed gratification is a sign of maturity. A sign of immaturity is wanting what you want right away, without thinking of the bigger picture, and as unwise as it is to handle things this way, I see it happen all the time and I’m not into it, and will have no parts of it. I believe waiting, and doing things God’s way will always outweigh what you may perceive everyone else is doing. I’ll issue this warning though: doing things His way will likely come with criticism, occasional loneliness, and people thinking you’re trippin’ lol – this often happens to those that deviate from the path that seems socially normal, or looks like what everyone else is doing, but I know and have experienced that living within God’s will, and doing things His way, is the safest place to be. Romans 14:8 reads, “For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we love therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.” If I live and die for Him, what other people say or think is ultimately, meaningless. Delaying gratification and doing things God’s way will pay off, and I know from personal experiences, God rewards obedience and a willingness to approach things, His way. Delayed gratification is the new cool. Try it out. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...