Skip to main content

Curses

Awhile back I streamed a sermon from one of my favorite speakers, T.D. Jakes. It was titled The Choice That Breaks The Curse. He spoke about curses, and how some of the negative things you say can have the power to curse yourself and/or others. Words are powerful and can have an incredible impact, whether people realize it or not. In the sermon he said, “To curse me is to speak wickedness against my future.” It’s important to be careful what you say to people, especially during times when you may be upset. Think about times when someone may have said something to you out of anger, or times when you may have said something hurtful to someone, because you were upset with them. That’s speaking wickedness against another person’s future.  Even if it’s not done with intent, the damage it causes is hard to reverse, even if apologies happen. I wish I didn’t remember some of the negative things that were said to me in the past, as well as negative things I’ve said when I was in a heightened emotional state. Although I’ve forgiven the people who’ve said them, and had to make my own apologies for things I’ve said, I still find myself having to wrestle away the curses in prayer and by diving into my word. You can also curse people by what you don’t say. A great example of this was brought up in the sermon, in reference to the relationship between parents and their children. If you’re a parent that makes your love or approval a challenge to receive, you can curse your own child and not even realize it. It doesn’t hurt to tell your kids things like, “I’m proud of you”, or “You’re doing a great job.” Words are spirit, and anything you say out of your mouth can either bless or curse someone. When I get angry or upset about something someone says or does, I pause and wait before responding. I’ve also found that going to God and saying, Lord, show me how to handle this… can help. I don’t want to be responsible or worse, have to answer to God about cursing someone with something negative I’ve said. It really gets on my nerves when people use cop outs like, “I was just playing…” when they say something negative or hurtful, too. Because even if you think you’re being playful or kidding, you’re still saying something that can have a negative impact. Don’t do that. Be the kind of person that spreads blessings, not curses, over your life and the lives of others. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...