Skip to main content

Authenticity

More often than not, I’m usually right about people when I meet them. The discernment I possess is a powerful gift.  I’m great at sensing whether someone’s authentic or not, which is why it doesn’t surprise me or catch me off guard when I find out someone’s been talking badly about me (and thinks I don’t know), is being fake, or walks away. These three things reveal themselves when I simply, pause and pay attention. When this happened with someone I was acquainted with some time ago, I thought, Should I really be surprised? They’ve already shown me the kind of person they are. I always pray that God covers me when it comes to my blind spots, especially in regards to people, because I can see where my willingness to be open to and with different people I shouldn’t have, ended up causing some issues and ultimately ended up being a waste of time. I wish I was wrong about different people I’ve known, many of which I’ve grown to love (closely and from a distance) but I’m getting better and better at separating the real ones from the fakes. Authenticity is rare. We live in a world today where so many people are stunting about who they really are, while pretending to be something they’re not. If you don’t believe me, take a close look at your own life and think about all the different people you know, or think you know by simply, pausing and paying attention. I guarantee you’ll notice things that have been there all along, but won’t become apparent until something happens, that show’s you who they really are. I’m just saying… 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...