Skip to main content

13 Reasons Why

Back in March Netflix premiered a series called 13 Reasons Why. Originally, I had no idea what the show was about until I later learned it was about the suicide of a young teenager who took her own life, after enduring bullying from some of her cruel peers. The main character, Hannah Baker, records 13 cassette tapes narrating all the events that led to her suicide. I felt drawn and especially connected to the series, as I was bullied in middle school. Middle school was a rough season for me, and as much as I tried to just get through it, it wasn’t easy. I got picked on for things like the way I looked, the clothes I wore, being a Christian, and for my many failed attempts with trying to be accepted by the cool kids. And just when I thought I’d get a fresh start in high school, one of the guys on the football team humiliated me in front of a crowd of my peers when he called me a loser, and said that I was a nobody that sucked at life. What was wild about that particular incident is that one, just one, other guy who saw what was happening stepped in and said, stop, don’t talk to her like that. A lot of the other people that were around were silent, while some opted for laughter and thought it was the funniest thing they’d ever seen. I took off in tears and bawled up in the girl’s locker room, while one of my friends tried to help calm me down. She said, don’t believe any of the things he said. None of what he said about you is true. It was an ugly incident but I got over it. After all, it was high school. The silver lining in what happened was that it happened before smartphones hit the scene, so at least I didn't have to relive what happened over and over again. 

While my struggle wasn’t as heavy as the shows main character, Hannah Baker, I could resonate with some of the things she went through (being the new girl, growing apart from friends, dealing with the repercussions of rumors, and trying to weather the storms of adolescence) and it was a reminder of how much I don’t miss being a teenager. If anyone has already seen the series, I guarantee that you’d likely be able to identify a number of the different characters who reflected some of the people you may have attended high school with. Hannah Baker is the kind of girl I could’ve seen myself being best friends with, and her friend Clay Jensen (who I was rooting for her to get together with) was the kind of guy I would’ve loved to date in high school. I was surprised to learn that a number of critics and parents were upset with the show, due to some of the graphic and mature content, but the dark parts of the show shed light on some troubling truths.  I’ve never seen a series that highlighted the effects and tragic aftermaths of bullying like 13 Reasons Why. There were some nights that I didn’t sleep well after watching some of the heavier episodes, because they left me speechless, but the reality is, a lot of teenagers have taken their own lives because of bullying and because they don’t feel like things will ever get better. When I was in middle school, I couldn’t wait until I’d be off to high school. Things did eventually get better once I went to God, prayed more, started going to counseling, and found ways to cope. I’m not haunted by the different things that happened, because even when things were bad, I knew they wouldn’t go on forever. I’m an adult now, but I can’t imagine what it must be like to be a teenager these days. 13 Reasons Why may be a scripted show, but it’s a cautionary tale of some of the things happening with teenagers now, and how unfortunate the consequences can be when things like bullying continue to happen. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far