Skip to main content

Worship

I closed my eyes, lifted my hands and cried. I never experienced something so freeing, powerful, beautiful and peaceful, all at once in my entire life. When I finally did, I understood for the very first time, why so many people did it. I’m talking about, worship. John 4:24 reads, “God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.” I’ve been saved since I was seven years old, have scriptures engraved in my heart and my mind like a bible in human form, but I never knew how to worship. I never got why people would cry, lift their hands, sing, and how they could be so free. To be honest, I found it strange and was terrified to participate. In any church setting I’d ever been in, I always felt like people were watching me, and if they ever saw me be so vulnerable, they’d think something was wrong with me. I thought this until I had a night that changed my life, forever. In January my Alma mater had a worship night. I had original plans to go with a friend, and when she bailed at the last minute, I was disappointed and almost backed out of going. If I had done that, I would’ve missed out big time. Anyways, I really wanted and needed to go. I was really broken at this particular season of my life, and was trying to get put back together, so I thought the worship night could help. As I walked up to a stretched line outside of the chapel, I felt some type of way. I thought, I really don’t want to be here alone. Everyone else is here with friends and I’m by myself. I can do this, though. As I waited in line, a group of girls walked up behind me laughing and chatting. When one of them made a tiny joke, I decided to jump in their conversation, and then God set things in motion. None of us had ever met. We didn’t know each other, but when one of them asked, “Are you here alone?” and I replied, “Yes” my loneliness eased when she said seven words, “Do you want to sit with us?” Right then, I knew I made the right choice. As we introduced ourselves to each other, I discovered one of the young women and I had actually been in one of the same online groups and courses we were taking at the time, so us happening to be in line right next to each other was too real. When we all made our way to be seated inside, another girl joined along (who would later become a good friend as well) and when the night began, I went from going to a worship night solo, to be embraced by a group of strangers I’d never met, and without hesitation, I let go and leaned into worship. The night was incredible and one I’ll never forget. The Holy Spirit’s presence was flowing. When the music played and we all worshiped, I realized that no one cared what I looked like and honestly, weren’t thinking about me, because they were busy worshipping, too. It was the first time I let myself be fully vulnerable, and let God take all the weights I’d been carrying. All the weights of things beyond my control, all the heavy bricks of my brokenness, disappointments, and everything else I’d been carrying was lifted. I felt like I could breathe fresh air, and during all my time as a believer, I never understood worship until that night. I had to surrender to worship, because all the things I’d been doing to fix myself weren’t working, but worship? It works. When I’m in a posture of worship, I’m in a place where I can connect with God, and experience something that I can’t fully put into words. Now, I get it. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...