Skip to main content

Wait Your Turn

“Lord, I know I didn’t wait the best way. I’m sorry. I know I can do better. Show me how…” I said, one evening. Sometimes, waiting for different things can be challenging. During different waiting periods I’ve let my impatience turn into frustration, and would easily give up and think, “This (whatever the “this” happened to be) isn’t going to happen for me…” This kind of poor attitude was usually accompanied with doubt, discouragement, complaints, and disappointment. Shortly after I graduated college, I didn’t realize I was depressed. The signs were there, but I pretended I was fine. Openly, I smiled but behind closed doors, I cried a lot in private, was in and out of long amounts of sleep throughout the day, felt mentally, physically, and emotionally drained, and somehow managed to function by distracting myself with things like busyness, work, reading books, binge watching old shows, listening to music, and hanging out with friends, but not being fully present when I’d hang out with them. I was also going on job interviews (as the job I thought I landed before graduation fell through), and when I either didn’t hear anything back or was told, “Thanks but no thanks” my spirit really felt down, and worst of all, I stopped writing. Writing is my thing, so this definitely wasn’t good. I went back to God because everything I did wasn’t working. I knew I owed him an apology. I’d been going so hard for everything I wanted, that I was being impatient and waiting, incorrectly. When God makes you wait, it’s with good reason, and often requires going through process. Waiting on God and with God is a time to work on things He may be trying to cultivate in you, and your obedience with this can make a difference. After I said the prayer above, things started happening I would’ve never anticipated. I pulled away more from the things I’d been distracting myself with, and spent more time in my word. I started writing again, and found a platform where I’m able to tell the kinds of stories I want to tell, I also started getting phone calls and e-mails for different career opportunities, a number of which sought me out, and day by day I noticed how my faith increased. Honestly, it had to. I wanted to show God that I trusted Him, and that I could be trusted, and I know this would require some major changes; changes that would and still do, take time. As I made some changes, I watched as things began coming together in a way they hadn’t before. God already had things lined up for me; He was just trying to get my patience right. I had to wait my turn. As more things started coming together, I also realized that I haven’t been out of school for that long, but my rush to “arrive” to where I’d been trying to go, brought unnecessary stress I put on myself. I didn’t get it until now, but there’s so much beauty in waiting. I’m discovering that waiting, can make you more patient. It can also help you not rush into things too soon, can give you clarity, and position you for God’s best. Now that it is my turn, I feel like I’ve had time to work on things that needed to change, and I still do this daily. I’m adjusting and walking in what God’s doing, and I feel like I’m just getting warmed up. The process of working through things hasn’t been easy, but it feels good to be getting some wins. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far