Skip to main content

Race Card

As a young black woman I can testify to the fact that, being black in America can be tough. I don’t have a poor me, life is so hard because I’m black... mindset; I just know what’s happening in the world. I love being black, and all of the dope black girl magic I embody – I’m smart, beautiful, educated, gifted, and talented but I’m also real woke (more woke than a lot of people that might think they me know me well, may realize). I’ve experienced racism and discrimination since I was a kid. Always being the only black girl in class, in the neighborhood, and in many other settings does something to a person. I can recognize the disgusting stench of racism from my childhood, in different workplaces, and even during my time as an undergrad in college. I’m fully aware of the stereotypes and prejudgments that come with being black. When a new president was elected in November 2016, I pretended not to notice how racist, prejudice, and sexist a lot of my social media and real life friends were, but a lot of them just revealed the truth about who they were all along. A lot of the stuff I saw and heard was alarming. We’re not living in a post-racial world as some people may think. Even though there’s been some progress here and there, there’s so much more that has to be done. I can only speak from my experience with different things, but here’s some stuff to know…

Why would you say that? There have been so many times when someone from another race has said or done something that left me wondering, why would they say that?! Stuff like…

“Did you just vote for Obama because he’s black?”

“You’re a white-black girl…”

“You seem like you just date white guys…”

“Black people can’t afford this or that…”

And many other things that aren’t worth listing…

Don’t believe everything you see on reality TV…  In the world of table flipping, toss-a-drink in your face, petty, gossiping, and brawling reality television, most of the shows feature black women. I used to watch some of them and think it was funny, until I didn’t anymore. When I saw how bad things looked, I had to completely pull away from it. The upsetting thing about it is that this kind of reality television is used for entertainment purposes, while exploiting the state of what it means to be a black woman. Not all black women act like that, and mainstream media pushes this in a dangerous way. To each their own as far as watching it goes, but I’ll pass.

Black on black… I have a lot of white friends. I do have some black friends, but my white friends definitely outnumber my black ones. Growing up, usually being the only black girl in the mix influenced and impacted me in different ways. I don’t fit a stereotype, so the authenticity of my “blackness” has often been questioned and clowned. I’ve been picked on by my own people for being bougie (a colloquialism for being snobby like) but recently, a good friend advised me to lose that word. I’m smart, speak well, and enjoy fine dining, art, different culture, and eclectic mixes of entertainment. This doesn’t mean I’m bougie or excludes me from experiencing racism. I still catch it regardless of how educated, well spoken, and attractive I am. So, to my brothers and sisters who throw that word around as an insult, please stop. I may not “fit” the mold, but I’m still fighting the good fight, too.

The N-word… No matter who says this word, I don’t like it. It’s not cool, hip, or funny. People say it all the time, though. Don’t.

Opportunities… We may all be afforded various opportunities, but sometimes, some of us have to grind even harder to prove ourselves. On the hit Shonda Rhimes series, Scandal Eli Pope once told his daughter Olivia, “You have to be twice as good as them to get half of what they have.” Almost every black person knows exactly what this means. I’ve even had it said to me growing up. Much of what you want will never be handed to you, especially if you’re a minority; especially now. In grade school through college, I knew I had to deliver, because I was aware of the odds against me, and the competition waiting. As a black woman, I’ve had to work hard to prove I could make great grades, have my voice be heard, tell my stories, land opportunities, and even create my own opportunities in the process.

Interracial love… Personally, I don’t have a type and I don’t discriminate. I’ve been approached by different guys, from different races and it’s cool. Some people may have a preference to just date and/or marry within their own race, which isn’t racist, but I feel like the more open you are, the more options you’ll have. I feel this is especially important for black women. Dating outside your race can be a great thing, and it doesn’t mean you’re betraying the brothers. I can appreciate a great guy no matter what race he is, and I love black men. However, when black men and men from other races say things like, “I don’t date black women because…” or only pursue or wife up non-black women, I get why some black women get upset. It can sting sometimes, because just because you choose to be with someone outside of your race, doesn’t mean you should bash those within your own. Go be with whoever you want, just be respectful.

I’m not an angry black woman… Black women have some bad stats. I’m all for changing those stats. First off, we’re not all angry.  I’m not. Sure, I get upset when things happen I don’t like that I believe may have something to do with the fact that I’m black, but I don’t dwell on it. I just feel the emotions and move on. Staying angry won’t fix anything, and just because I’m outspoken, stand up for myself, speak out against an issue, or get upset doesn’t make me angry. I’m just woke.

Law enforcement… There can be a lot of mixed emotions when it comes to law enforcement, and it’s understandable. Unfortunately, the tragic direction of the way things have been going in the world attributes to the distrust of what can be described as, a flawed justice system. I pray about it, and can only hope and have faith that things get better.

Some people don’t get it… No matter what, some people will never understand what it’s like for black Americans. The weight, pressures, opposition, and battles we face from the moment we step out into a world that marginalizes us, is something that can’t be easily understood. Whenever someone tells me, “Don’t take it too personal…” I ignore it, because this thing hits too close to home to not take it personal. Taking a stand and at least trying to understand what different people go through, without judging them can help.


Stay woke, stay informed. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far