Skip to main content

Jesus Feminist and Women in Ministry

I recently read Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey, and it heavily impacted my views on the state of Christianity, women, and women in ministry. I’ve been saved since I was seven, and I grew up watching women speak in the church. Seeing women leaders was normal to me, so it was mind blowing to discover that a heavy number of men and women, were against the idea of women in ministry. When I read different things on social media and different blogs, I was alarmed and couldn’t believe some of the things I saw. Sadly, I’m used to dealing with sexist men of the world, but dealing with sexist men who are supposed to be Christians is painful, and the Christian women that share the same views as these kinds of men are scary, because whether they realize it or not, they’re a part of a problem that ultimately sets all of us women in the church back. When I read Jesus Feminist I laughed, cried, and was enlightened about Jesus, the power of being a woman, and the need for more women in ministry. Sarah Bessey writes, “We don’t need a sanctioned bookstore or a marketing plan from a publishing house for the stories that shape us in ways big and small. We can tell our stories out loud.” There are Christian women who are called to ministry, that I fear are afraid to come forth. I get it. It’s not easy, but to withhold their ministry seems like a disservice to all the women, and maybe some men in the world, who need them to step forth. I believe I’m called to minister to women, and while I don’t care for the aesthetic things that seem to fascinate others who want a life in ministry, correction think they want a life in ministry, none of the glossy stuff or status phases me. The people that God calls to a life of ministry, particularly in the area of leadership, are usually not the most obvious choices or popular picks. I can identify with this, because I feel so unworthy and unqualified for it, but He still picked me; brokenness, messiness, ratchetness and all lol. Truthfully, ministry can be messy. There aren’t really days off, convenient hours, and especially not convenient people. Regardless, I have a heart for broken people, specifically, broken women. I want to draw them to Christ and teach them about owning their identities, pursuing their callings, and walking in purpose. When a friend and I got together to share our similar visions (as she’s called to ministry as well) the reactions we got were wild. I told her, “Don’t expect too many people to be on board with what we’re doing.” I didn’t say that to be discouraging, but to keep things real, because I know what we’re going to be up against. I feel like women, especially Christian women need a place where they can be truly vulnerable, open, and authentic about who they are, what they’re struggling with, and be fed with the word. If there were other courageous women who dared to do the same, I imagine that the state of the church might be significantly different. Sarah Bessey writes, “Rest in your God-breathed worth. Stop holding your breath, hiding your gifts, ducking your head, dulling your roar, distracting your soul, stilling your hands, quieting your voice, and satiating your hunger with the lesser things of this world.” Sometimes, it’s tough being real. Authenticity comes with a price and it’s usually at the risk of people not liking you, or misunderstanding you, and I’m growing to care less and less what others think about me. What someone else thinks is beyond my control, but I can speak and stand up for Christian women who feel ashamed, scared, or threatened to share their stories. I envision a women's ministry where…

There’s worship and fellowship.

There’s genuine sisterhood.

There’s an environment where women (of all ages, ethnicities, and backgrounds) can come together and be real.

There’s an open space to discuss purity, sex, sexuality, and lust without feeling guilty or being judged.

There’s an open space to lead, create, and encourage each other to be better without a spirit of competition.


This vision is not out of reach. Some of the stuff I’ve experienced, seen, and encountered in different Christian settings has been upsetting, and I’d like to see that change by creating change. It won’t be easy but I believe it can be done. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far