Skip to main content

If She Wins…

As a young woman, I don’t like competing with other women. I think it’s petty. As much as I try to avoid it, it seems inevitable at times. I’m in competition with no one but myself, however, I feel the discomfort and hatred when faced with another woman, who doesn’t try to challenge me in a healthy way (like going for a job, for example) but instead, attempts to one up me in a childish manner to prove a point, because she’s either threatened, or insecure. I don’t like that, and unfortunately I see it all the time. I’ve adopted a mantra that simply goes, if she wins, I win, we all win. As women, especially young women, we’re all in different places and roles in our lives ranging from students, to professionals, mothers, daughters, sisters, spouses, girlfriends, and etc. and celebrating each other vs. competing with one another, or downplaying another’s success, regardless of what stage the other is in, can improve. I’ve been to many weddings, baby showers, and other various events to support my fellow sisterhood of different family members and friends, but when I graduated from college and started applying for different career opportunities, I noticed the silence and discouraging comments that were whispered, and thrown my way. I learned that there will be people who don’t clap when you’re winning; even people that you thought would. Experiencing this really hurt, because while I’m not picking out a wedding gown or putting a kid on the bus for their first day of school, I’m steady grinding for a better life, while trying to become a better version of myself. Not only have I had this happen to me, but some other smart, go-getting, young women I know, don’t get the support from their family, friends, and other women that they need, sometimes. Regardless of how independent someone may come off, it doesn’t dismiss the fact that they should be celebrated and supported, too. I know I want to be in a position someday, where I’m able to help put young women through college that want to go, because I want to see them make it in this world. Remember, if she wins, I win, we all win. It’d be great if more women supported each other, instead of competing with one another, or downplaying each other’s wins. We could all get ahead so much further together, than apart. Hopefully, that day will come. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...