Skip to main content

Fear

Doing the things that scare you can be liberating. For me, it all started with a confrontation and suddenly, I was never the same again. Four months ago I stood up to a long time bully. Whenever this person came around, my spirit would drop and I’d get anxious and be filled with anxiety. Clearly, I wasn’t throwing scripture at the situation. 2 Timothy 1:7 reads, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” I used to pray that someone would stand up to her. Little did I know that God’s choice was closer than I realized. I was the David and she was the Goliath. Not only did this person scare me, but I watched as she hurt other people with her intimidation, threats, and cruelness. It seemed unbearable at times, but one day I decided, enough is enough. I made a choice and did something about it. Things escalated so quickly that before I realized we were face to face, everything else around me, including the people and surroundings seemed non-existent. Things didn’t get physical, there was just a heated exchange of words, but it felt good to take a stand. Fun fact about this bully: She was a family member, which made this especially challenging, and my taking a stand led to some family members not talking to me shortly after. Something had to be done, though. It is what it is. For the record, I did feel bad about how things went down. I can recognize that she terrorized people because of her own brokenness, which helped me understand why things happened the way they did. Anyone that knows me well knows I’m one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet, so this was a side of me that wasn’t common. I watched this person inflict pain for far too long to let it stand anymore, and once I stood up for myself – tears streaming, raspy voice, headache from yelling, and adrenaline pumping, I surprisingly felt relieved. It wasn’t a pretty sight, but once things cooled down, I realized I faced my fears. I stood up to someone I was afraid of, who hurt me and hurt a lot of other people too. Shortly after that time, I did even more things that scared me. Like…

Let God all the way into everything that concerned, troubled, or hurt me. I’ve been vulnerable with Him like never before, and being fully open with Him has been life changing.

Used the word “no” without an explanation. My fear with this had been people being mad at me, but guess what? I can’t control someone’s feelings or what they think. I also can’t and won’t be everything to everybody, which means saying “no” instead of “yes” sometimes and no longer feeling the need to explain why.

Got my first tattoo. This wasn’t nearly as scary or painful as I thought. I’d heard and read about the things that could go wrong, but I’d wanted to do this for years, so I woke up one morning and went for it. My heart was beating fast as I walked into the tattoo shop, and when it was my turn, I was greeted by a husky, tattoo artist, covered in tattoo’s,  who was one of the kindest guys I ever met. While I was getting my tattoo, he talked to me about his wife, how he became a new coffee drinker, and how he thought I smelled good lol. It was a memorable visit and before I knew it, I was walking away with some new ink that I love.

Applied for my dream jobs in California and New York. I’ve lived in the same area my entire life, so the desire to leave has often crossed my mind. My dream careers and career locations are not in my comfort zone. While it’d be scary to pick up and start a life in a new area, it could also be great for me. Regardless of warnings, non-support, disapproval, and fears, I went for my dream careers, and while I didn’t get the jobs I went for, it felt great taking the first steps. I dream big and I’m still not giving up.  

Talked to a guy I’ve always wanted to talk to. This one was funny, because while I was nervous, I had absolutely nothing to be scared about. Sure, it was awkward because I didn’t know him well, but I wanted to talk to him. I thought he was cute, smart, and interesting. It was a brief conversation, just two people talking. Not a big deal and definitely nothing to be afraid of. He was nice and cool to talk to.

And you know what happened after I did all these things? I became less afraid and decided to just “go for it” whatever “it” may be in life. I’m not pretending I never get scared, but I choose to manage the fear, and not let it run my life. Sometimes, a lot of the things we’re afraid of are ridiculous. As long as you’re not hurting someone, putting yourself in danger, or being foolish, why not face your fears, and just dive in? What are you so afraid of? I can testify that on the other side of your fears is: freedom.


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far