Skip to main content

Fasting

A little while ago, I had a dream I was standing over my own dead body. I could see myself laid out and in the background, I saw different people I used to be acquainted with, and environments I used to frequent. I looked peaceful and after I saw myself, I walked away. When I woke up from this dream, I wondered, “What does this all mean?” I did a little research and found out this kind of dream symbolizes moving forward. It’s a representation of ending one chapter of life, and starting another -- which makes sense considering I graduated from college about a month ago. Since schools been done, I’ve found myself in a new and uncertain season of transition, a season that at the beginning stages, freaked me out as none of my plans came together like I thought, however, things have actually gotten better. In the early to middle stages of this transition, I went on a fast and I wasn’t prepared for the level of clarity, direction, and breakthroughs that God had for me on the other side. I’m not just talking about the kind of fasting where one turns down their plate, although I did do that, I also fasted on secular music and social media for awhile, too, and gained a new level of insight that I hadn’t had before. I was able to connect with God, and be vulnerable and honest with Him, in ways I hadn’t before because I chose to die to my flesh, sacrifice, and draw near to Him, while facing one of the most challenging seasons of transition in my life. Removing the noise from my life helped me to really hear. Whenever I fast, I can definitely see the areas in my heart and spirit that are in need of some tune ups. This is a process that takes work and intentionality on a regular basis. I think there’s so much to be gained from fasting, taking a step back from all the noise in life, and going to my Father, instead of my family, friends, or social media to vent, trying to get help with things no one can physically help me through, and rely on God to heal and help me in the places that I don’t talk about, with the things no one can understand the way He does.  

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...