Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Intuition

When he entered the movie theater, I felt uneasy. Something about him seemed creepy when he walked in and stood up in the back of the theater while everyone else was sitting down. He was a random stranger, but something about him seemed off. Something inside me said leave. So, I walked out of the movie. It’s hard to explain, but I just got a bad vibe. I don’t think the random stranger I saw did anything (as there wasn’t any breaking news about something awful going down at the movies that day) but the moment I saw him my instinct was to run. 

To have intuition is to know something immediately without reasoning. A common belief is that many women possess a natural level of intuition. Women’s intuition has saved lives, protected others from violent crimes, and has stopped a number of bad things from happening that could’ve been tragic, until someone spoke up, made a last-minute decision, or trusted their gut feeling. Putting your intuition to use and trusting it is a skill that’s important to have. Here are some ways to put it to good use... 

Listen. If something seems off to you about anyone or about any location you may be, trust that gut feeling. Listen to yourself. Your intuition can let you know if someone or something feels dangerous, which could even save your life. Some people may think it’s silly that I left a movie after getting a bad feeling, but I felt at ease not being in a situation I sensed seemed sketch. Back in 2012, a tragic mass shooting happened at an Aurora, Colorado movie theater when a shooter named James Holmes fired shots, killing 12 people and injuring over 70 others who were there. I’ve heard plenty of stories about women who just had nothing but a “bad feeling” about someone or something that seemed off to them and decided to trust their instincts. I’ve also heard stories about women who didn’t listen to their inner voice and wound up in some heartbreaking situations. While no one should live in a perpetual state of fear, this world can be a scary place sometimes with some really evil people who don’t mean you well. Listen and pay attention to what’s happening around you. 

Go. If your gut is telling you to leave a place or to step away from someone, go. And don’t look back. This is especially important for women. I enjoy movies and concerts and outdoor events, but I don’t like the feeling of being in a huge crowd and not being able to step away or step out if I need to. I also don’t like anyone too close in my personal space, especially if I don’t know you well or at all. And people I sense are unsafe are people I keep my distance from. I’ve had the opportunity to meet a lot of different people, make new friends and acquaintances, and date some interesting guys, but some of those connections came with red flags I chose to overlook at first. Ignoring my gut instincts brought a lot of pain and unnecessary stress, drama, and wasted time into my life that could have been avoided if walked away the moment I started seeing troubling signs, unhealthy behavior, and dangerous patterns. Most people will usually reveal themselves to you if you listen and pay close attention. If someone or something does not feel right for you or to you, it’s because the person or thing is not right for you. 

Better Safe Than Sorry. Sometimes your gut may steer you away when things are okay but more often than not a gut feeling about someone or something sketch will trigger warning signals for you to listen, leave, and get to a safe place. Your friends might be heading to an after-hours spot and encouraging you to go, when your inner voice may be telling you go home. So go home. A co-worker you don’t know well may invite you out some time to chill but there’s just something about them you don’t trust. Trust what your instincts may be signaling. Or maybe a cool guy who seems nice and charming on the surface chatted you up and wants to chill with you at your place sometime. Exercise extreme caution and consider declining. It’s safer to meet someone in public places first until they’ve shown they can be trusted, especially if you’re living alone and don’t know the other person too well. Pay attention, be careful, and listen to your intuition. You’ve got this. 


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And