Skip to main content

About Starting A Blog

I’ve had different people ask me about how to start blogs of their own. I’m certainly no master blogger, I’m just a writer who happened to get into blogging, and I enjoy creating monthly content, sharing stories, and allowing readers to get to know a little about me through some of my work. However, some people who’ve reached out have expressed concerns, fears, and reservations about pursuing blogs of their own. Just recently, an acquaintance came to me for advice about some writing material he was filled with fear, guilt, and shame about sharing. He was scared he’d disappoint and hurt different people’s feelings in his life if they knew what he wrote. I empathized with his reservations, but I also told him other people’s feelings are not his to own. He can’t control what others think or how they’ll perceive things. He’s not God. What he doesn’t know, that I’m continually learning as a writer, is that some of the stories he might be scared to write may be the key to someone else’s healing and deliverance and be a source of healing for him as well. A handful of others have also expressed their apprehensions with me about what they want to share too, and guess what?

I understand those fears. Below, are some things that others have said about me, written, and/or posted regarding my writing, my blog, and my character… 

Fleshly.
Superficial-- This one was funny. A peer I went to undergrad with emailed me two paragraphs worth of thoughts about how superficial she felt I was… and my writing too. She obviously had a lot of time on her hands. Again, this was funny but mild compared to some of the other insults I’d get from peers who were racist or sexist or prejudice. Those insults hurt sometimes, but they taught me to toughen up. 
You’re not as wise as you think.
Incredibly rude.
Entitled Christian. 
Mean.
Judgmental. 
Inspiring.
Exaggerated. 
Insensitive.
You’re a good writer. This is what the world needs more of. 
Positive. 
Down-to-earth.
Professional.
You have a lot of potential as a writer. 
Confident.
Awesome.
I hope you pursue publishing. Your writing is worth it. 
Real.
Unapologetic. 

I get it. I’ve wrestled with fear, guilt, and shame as well. But I choose to press through those feelings and allow myself to create and write freely. I’ve had some family, friends, former friends, and even people who don’t know me well, get upset with things I’ve written and shared. I’ve wrestled with writing about different things I’ve been unwilling to speak on or share publicly, but I felt my fears and forged ahead anyway. Some of my highest read content has been from things I’ve been terrified to write about. And often, to my surprise, some people have been encouraged, inspired, or felt healed or experienced some form of deliverance from some of those blog posts. With almost any endeavor, especially writing, there’ll always be a level of criticism and there’ll always be some people who get offended. Always. A preacher I follow once said something along the lines of, “You cannot be successful and fear people.” See and read Proverbs 29:25. Fear may show up, but what you do or don’t do as a result of that is up to you. The criticism, misunderstandings, shade, and internet trolls are inevitable. I’ve found it’s just best not to respond anytime someone gets rude, nasty, ignorant, obnoxious, or doesn’t “get” whatever it is you’re sharing. Just do you. Every blogger is different. As long as you believe you have something significant to say, share, and contribute, go for it. To start your own blog:

Know that your story is significant. Your stories and content can help others. I once read that blogging can be a form of ministry. Ministry is not just limited to preaching from a pulpit. Let that be a lesson to those of you who may desire that platform. Especially those who want it for the wrong reasons. Be intentional, authentic, and mindful of what you’re sharing. And share with purpose. Don’t withhold your gifts or your ministry. 
Pick a platform. I use Blogger, but there are a number of blogging sites you can use to start. Just find one you’re comfortable with. You can set it up as you’d like. After you figure out what you’d like to blog about, title your blog, have labels for the different content you’re sharing, develop a mini bio about yourself (a photo is optional but can be helpful), and have a subscription option available so readers can subscribe and follow your blog. 
Plan out monthly content. Each month, I map out my content. I set aside time every week to write and go from there. I also leave room for changes if necessary but if you can maintain a consistent schedule, you’ll have a great blog and reach the people you’re meant to reach. Your blog will do what it’s supposed to do. Be patient with it.  

What are you waiting for? Create something of your own. You’ve got this. And to all the writers out there. Just a reminder…

“Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” – Natalie Goldberg

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And