Skip to main content

Career in the City

I got a taste of my dream job in the city, and I didn’t have to relocate to New York City (like I thought I would) for it to happen. I always imagined and considered relocation, should a great career opportunity arise, but I think the Lord wants me to stay put…for now, anyways. I believe there are different things He wants to do in my life where I’m at, before He launches me out elsewhere, and if that’s what He wants, I’m willing to be obedient. The dream job fit great with my English degree and to my surprise, I was sought after for the opportunity. I had the chance to sit down with a kind and friendly professional, who took a liking to my writing, while offering constructive criticism, and feedback I’ll never forget. I’m keeping a lot of the details to myself, but what I will share about the meeting is that everything I saw from the setting, to the friendly and diverse professionals, to the office view, felt like a flashback of what I’d seen in New York City during a past visit. I felt like I was right where I belonged, and it was incredible. Before I took this meeting, I thought about all the different times I’ve been rejected, had my writing ideas turned down, and heard things from different people like, “English majors don’t get jobs…” and I thought, “Shame on them…” Did I mention that prior to this meeting; handfuls of different opportunities have consistently been coming my way? This is only the beginning… 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...