Skip to main content

Rejected and Redirected

I’ve decided to come back to the world of blogging. I wrestled with it but I felt God leading me to build something of my own. I wasted so much valuable time trying to be accepted in other writing circles that weren’t super inviting or receiving of what I brought to the table, that I almost forgot that there is a need for my brand of creativity. Sometimes, what we want and even who we want to see us or accept us, doesn’t deserve us. I’ve had the opportunity to have some experiences with different platforms where I was able to write, but not necessarily have the freedom to write about the things I want to write about. Whenever I shared my ideas with some of these platforms, I received a number of “thanks but no thanks” responses, and was completely ignored. Silly me, thinking I’d be received with open arms. This is a good thing though. Anyways, I’m taking what I have and building. It’s some great, thought-provoking, inspiring, and encouraging stuff and I’m going to make some waves. I’ve decided to do my own thing and create my own opportunities. Rejection can sting, but I’m learning the benefits of how it can serve as a catalyst for redirection, and I’m diving in. Making Waves was originally going to be a collection of short stories but I’ve decided to go another route. I’ll still share those stories and more, but in a different and better way. Stay tuned. The tides will be rising… feels so good to be back. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...