Skip to main content

Weekend At Something In The Water

Pharrell Williams is amazing. He brought exciting energy and an unforgettable experience to the Hampton Roads area that I’m certain many residents and visiting guests will be talking about for a long time. Something in the Water was exciting, fun, and inspiring. The musical performances, artistic creatives, various activities, and cultural impact of this festival has left a great impression on many, which is wonderful since this festival, seemingly strategically, happened to fall on College Beach Weekend – a time where many college students traditionally gather to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront to unwind and have a good time before their final exams, which in the past has been a weekend that’s stirred trouble, controversy, and concern in the area for some apprehensive and unwelcoming residents. Unfortunately, the internet was buzzing with some negative locals, haters, and naysayers waiting for Something in the Water to fail, however, things went well. Security was tight and the event had a level of structure that weeded out any potential trouble or concerns. I personally felt safe and was in great company with cool people looking forward to a good time.   
Day one of the festival was delayed and canceled because of some bad weather, which was disappointing. I was bummed not being able to see Migos, Gwen Stefani, and Dave Matthews Band, but later learned there’d be refunds for the cancellations. My festival squad and I decided to make the most of the night since we were already out. And the night was an adventure! Our night included some spontaneous trips around the Hampton Roads area. We started with drinks at The Shack, then grabbed a bite to eat at a local pizza spot called Planet Pizza. Afterward, we headed to Norfolk and visited a spot called Grace O’Malley’s Irish Pub. Then we went to a rooftop beer garden called Grain and finally concluded the evening in Waterside at a place called PBR Norfolk. By the end of night one, I had fun but was exhausted. I hadn’t been out as late I was in a loooong time and was quickly reminded I was no longer 21 😄. I was definitely missing my quiet nights of Netflix and lounging in sweatpants. 
Day two of the festival was a blast. The contagious energy and excitement were all over the beach. And the gorgeous day and infinite amounts of eye candy definitely helped. The incredible performances from artists such as Ferg, N.E.R.D, Jay-Z, Travis Scott, Tyler, the Creator, Missy Elliott, Snoop Dogg, Diddy, and more, was exciting to see. And the festival food? Delicious. There were so many options and I practically inhaled the drool-worthy Philly cheesesteak and fries I ordered. Being able to enjoy meals while sitting on the beach with friends and taking in the sights and sounds of the festival was something I’ll never forget.
Day three of the festival featured a pop-up church service, which was an opportunity for the community to come together for some praise and worship and fellowship. I sat day three out (due to exhaustion) so I spent the day resting and checking in on updates from home. After the pop-up service, I learned performances from Pharrell, Chris Brown, Pusha T, Fabolous, and others went well, and that a lot of people had a great time.
Something in the Water also included other activities such as: viewing creative art murals, a basketball court on the beach, an Adidas Creator Park, a Sony 360 Reality Audio dome, a Timberland Pop Up Park, and more. After the final day of the event, local residents also had the opportunity to volunteer with keeping things “beachy clean” by volunteering to clean up areas where different festival activities took place over the weekend. A friend and I were able to help with Keep It Beachy Clean Virginia Beach, a program specializing in cleaning Virginia’s waterways, which was a good time too.
The weekend was lit and went well. Just click here and you’ll see. As a Virginia native, I’m abundantly grateful having had the opportunity to attend something as special as Something in the WaterIf you’ve never been to a music festival and one happens to come through your area or nearby or away from where you reside, I highly recommend making plans to attend. Do something fun this weekend and enjoy yourself. TGIF!


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far

Twenty Pieces Of Advice & Wisdom For The Twenty-Something Women Of The World

Years ago, a friend of mine asked me for advice regarding a life change she was considering. She explained her situation and shared, “I wanted to talk to you because you give really good advice.” I was flattered and surprised by her statement. Mostly because while I’ve been approached by family, friends, colleagues, different students I teach, and sometimes even strangers who have asked me for advice regarding whatever it was they happened to bring my way, some haven’t always listened and then proceeded to make regretful decisions that could have been avoided if they had listened to what I shared in the first place. And lately, a group that’s heavily been on my heart and mind are women in their twenties.  I’m only 33 but I remember what it was like for my friends and me moving through our twenties. It wasn’t the easiest decade to navigate, and it certainly had its ups and downs, but armed with the experiences, advice, and wisdom I have now, there are definitely things I believe we all