Skip to main content

Lessons From Mom

Things can feel like they’re falling apart, but when she says, “It’s going to be okay” I relax and believe that everything is going to be just fine. 

Because when she says, “It’s going to be okay” things aren’t nearly as overwhelming as I’ve thought. 

We’ve laughed.
We’ve cried.
We’ve bumped heads.
We’ve bonded.
And we’ve grown

I’ve even been known to get slightly jelly and territorial over her whenever I’ve had to share her, but, if she can be a “mama” to other people who need her, I don’t mind sharing at all.

I’m talking about my mom. 

Her hugs. Her humor. Her wisdom. And her spirit, love, authenticity, home-cooking, and her inner and outer beauty make her very special to me.

And the older I get, the more I’ve grown to appreciate her. I also pay very close attention to what she’s continually teaching me about life, being a woman, and coming into my own. And on this day, as well as others, I celebrate her. 

Appreciate your parents and definitely appreciate your mom and/or the woman or women who’ve raised you. No matter how difficult or challenging or awkward things might be, honor who and what you’ve got. I know I’ve got someone special, and a ton of other women in my life who’ve invested in me during different seasons of my life, who’ve also been instrumental in the woman I’ve grown to be and the woman I’m still becoming. They’ve all taught me so much, and my mom has taught me the following: 

Save Money… And Use Coupons. My mom has always been a beast at budgeting and handling numbers. She’s taught me something I’ll never forget, and that’s to stack my paper. Yes, sometimes my family makes fun of me for how I handle money (saving more vs. spending) but in the event of an emergency or unexpected expense, I’m able to strategize because I’ve been taught to prioritize saving over spending. She’s also a coupon gal, so if there’s a discount or way to save on what you’re spending? She’s a great teacher. 
Give. Growing up, my parents instilled the importance of giving to others. While I do save money well, I’m intentional about giving, not just on a monetary level but also with sharing my time, volunteering, and knowing when to give to others in need and as God leads me to do so. I’ve watched my mom give when she had little to nothing for herself, and as she’s done so, I’ve watched God bless her beyond the capacity she’s given to others. 
Laugh. My mom has a great sense of humor, and she continually teaches me the importance of laughing. Sometimes I’ve taken myself way too seriously and even when I’m not in the mood, she’ll find ways to make me laugh and remind me to chill. She’s hilarious and a bunch of other people who’ve experienced her humor can testify to it too. 
Unconditional Love. My mom has taught me about unconditional love in the ways she’s loved my brother and me, even when we’ve made mistakes or behaved in a way that was disappointing or when we’ve agreed to disagree. She still loves us. And we love her too.  
Life Doesn’t Owe You Anything. This is a lesson I’ve grown to appreciate as a young adult and especially as a young woman. And especially as a millennial, because truthfully? A lot of millennials and a lot of people, in general, need to be reminded: life doesn’t owe you anything. When I’ve thrown fits of frustration or felt entitled to something, even if it was something I believed I worked hard for and earned, or even during moments when I’ve tried getting away with throwing self-pity parties, my mom reminded me that life keeps moving and that it owes you nothing. You can do things the “right way” and be a good person and still get dealt an unfair hand. It happens to people all the time, but her tough love when I’ve needed it has prompted me to allow myself to feel what I feel, and at the same time, choose not to remain in a state of sadness, anger, frustration, or discouragement. You can still find your joy and choose to live a good life moving forward. 

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mom’s out there. You all are amazing 😌

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Twenty Pieces Of Advice & Wisdom For The Twenty-Something Women Of The World

Years ago, a friend of mine asked me for advice regarding a life change she was considering. She explained her situation and shared, “I wanted to talk to you because you give really good advice.” I was flattered and surprised by her statement. Mostly because while I’ve been approached by family, friends, colleagues, different students I teach, and sometimes even strangers who have asked me for advice regarding whatever it was they happened to bring my way, some haven’t always listened and then proceeded to make regretful decisions that could have been avoided if they had listened to what I shared in the first place. And lately, a group that’s heavily been on my heart and mind are women in their twenties.  I’m only 33 but I remember what it was like for my friends and me moving through our twenties. It wasn’t the easiest decade to navigate, and it certainly had its ups and downs, but armed with the experiences, advice, and wisdom I have now, there are definitely things I believe we all

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far