Skip to main content

Balance


The first few months into this new year have been rough. And slightly out of balance. I know I’m not the only one feeling this way. I’ve talked with different people who’ve been going through it too. Whether publicly or privately, a lot of people are going through some things. 

I’m going to keep it 100. Because if there’s any place where I feel free keeping it real, it’s with my writing. And at this moment, with this post, I’m going to be real. 

My word for the year 2019 was balance. Practicing more of it. Embracing it. And maintaining it. With a fresh start and a new year filled with different hopes, goals, dreams, and expectations, I was excited and ready to embrace what was ahead, with a nice amount of balance in the mix. Then life started coming at me sideways. In the form of bad news, disappointments, frustrations, sadness, anger, nuisances, and provocations.

And it’s only been about two months. Two. Months. I believe this year is supposed to be better. It can get better. I can be better too. And so can you.  

I’ve prayed. Fasted. Dived deeply into my bible. Prayed some more. Had worship. Exercised. Journaled. Dived into some self-help books and blogs. Went to counseling. Prayed even more and have still found myself in an unbalanced holding pattern of what has been a long season of pressing, perseverance, rejection, and transition, all of which I don’t like. I wrestle with feeling stuck between where I’m at and where I want to be. In-between spaces. Having a lot of vision and creativity that different people I know or have encountered have tried to incarcerate or limit, but that I can’t and won’t allow to die or be silenced or stifled. Sometimes it’s difficult to express. My disappointments, frustrations, sadness, anger, nuisances, and provocations are not things I’m typically open about outside the circle of my immediate family and close confidants. I aim to be positive in public and keep my painful and frustrating moments private. In my professional and personal life, I often feel like the Iyanla Vanzant for other people – listening to their issues, coaching and helping them through their problems, giving sound advice when asked, and being a source of encouragement, often without the people who are coming to me or those asking me for help knowing or perhaps being blind to the fact that, I go through things and need help sometimes too. I know I have God, family, close friends, and the option to get professional help if needed. And I’m not a negative person or a complainer, but sometimes, I don’t always feel like being positive or feel like looking for the silver linings in bad situations. I also don’t enjoy pressing through disappointments and unfair situations either. And I find it especially challenging and discouraging to take the high road in situations where most people would choose (and feel justified) being petty, nasty, or vengeful. Will I be savage and ratchet or do the right thing? Savage and ratchet? Do the right thing? Do the right thing. Do the right thing… 

My intention for this year is still balance. To embrace balance no matter what’s happening to me and all around me. I know I can choose what to focus on and what to ignore. Holding patterns are uncomfortable but they don’t last forever. I can allow the disappointments and frustrations and provocations to make me better and push me to where God wants to take me. Prayerfully, what He has in mind leads me towards areas, opportunities, people, and places that align with my callings, purpose, goals, and dreams. Hearing God, being properly positioned, and moving through life and this year, can’t be done without balance. I’m hoping to not only grasp balance but to eventually master it too. And I’m all in. What will your intention for this year be? 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...