Skip to main content

About Being Irreplaceable

Be irreplaceable. You have the power to do so. One day I got to thinking about ways I’ve been able to implement doing so in my own life, and I came to some realizations. One, no one can ever be as you as you can be. You’re an original design, and that’s amazing when you think about it. There’ll never be another you that passes through this world again. Two, because of who you are, you have the chance to bring your personal and unique skills, gifts, and talents to the world. Once you get a grip on those things and figure out where they fit, you’re on your way to discovering new and incredible opportunities. And finally, have a great work ethic. One of my core values is perseverance. Persevering in the midst of challenges and developing a strong work ethic are things that can help you stand out in the best kinds of ways. Others will take notice of this too. How does one become irreplaceable? Keep reading… 
Be Yourself– Remember, there’ll never be another you that walks this earth. Do you know how rare and valuable you are? Growing up, I struggled being myself. I constantly had people around me wanting me to be who they wanted or needed me to be instead of encouraging me to be myself. To this day, I find it insulting any time someone insists I be someone other than myself. I like/love who I am. And you should like/love yourself too. To be anything inauthentic or a second-rate version of someone else, and not be the best expression of who you are would be devastating. 

Use What You’ve Got– It amazes me how some of the most creative, talented, and innovative people I know waste away their gifts by not using them. You’re a lot more amazing than you realize and if you use what you’ve got, whether it be your charm, attractive looks, unique voice, sense of humor, or anything else that sets you apart from what others have already seen in another shape or form, then you help make yourself a little more irreplaceable.

Have a Great Work Ethic– I don’t know many people who’ve gotten far from laziness. I grind hard and work tenaciously for everything I have and want. The most successful people I know are usually productive, working hard, setting and accomplishing goals, managing their time well, and prioritizing. If you work hard and manage to be one of the hardest working people in the room, whether it’s in your professional or personal life, you’ll be amazed at the opportunities, promotions, and rewards you’ll reap because of the hard work you put in. Always strive to do your best. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...