Skip to main content

I Don’t Want A Blended Family

I could feel his disappointment through the phone when I told him the truth. 

“I don’t date guys with kids.”  

 

I’d been talking to a guy who had a daughter, and I wanted to be honest and upfront with him since he expressed interest in me. As I got to know him, I knew he wasn’t someone seeking a casual relationship. He wanted a wife, more kids, and a family. And while there’s nothing wrong with wanting those things, I knew I didn’t want them with him. I also didn’t want to string him along or hold him up from a woman better suited for him, and while I tried to be honest, open, and go with the flow, I couldn’t. I knew I’d be unhappy because he wasn’t what I wanted, waited for, prayed for, or envisioned for myself. Not only was I disinterested, but I also knew that deep down, I didn’t want a blended family. I never have. So eventually, we stopped talking altogether and parted ways. 

 

I don’t have kids and I’m not sure if I will, but one thing I’ve always known is that if I did marry, I didn’t want to be with someone who had a child/children from a previous relationship. I’ve always wanted to be with someone who was child-free so that we both would have the time and space to enjoy and build our lives together alone, and then start a family without having to navigate being stepparents, co-parenting with exes, and more. Some women don’t mind dating or marrying a guy with kids, but I’ve always known the route I wanted to take. I’ve received a ton of warnings that I might miss out, end up alone, or that it’s rare to meet guys who don’t have kids, but just because other people have those mindsets, doesn’t mean I have to or that I have to settle. Unfortunately, with my generation, I have noticed that a lot of young men, especially in the Black community, are single fathers, but that’s not the case for all Black men or men from other races. 

 

I’ve shared how I felt with some of my close girlfriends, and they’ve listened to me and respect my choice. I’ve also had this same conversation with some of my guy friends and some family members who are single and don’t have kids, who too, have expressed that they are not interested in getting involved with anyone who has kids either. Sometimes I think people who are single parents get offended and disappointed about this, and while I don’t look down on anyone who is a single parent and respect and understand that everyone’s situation is different, I know that ultimately, we all have different desires and visions for our lives and for what we want our families to look like. And it’s important to be honest with others and especially yourself about what you want and don’t want for yourself. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...