Skip to main content

Weekend At Mission: Possible

Women coming together to encourage and support other women is a beautiful thing. And one beautiful Sunday morning, I was able to attend a women’s worship and fellowship service at a local high school in the Hampton Roads area. I was invited by a co-worker and was glad I decided to attend. As soon as I entered the building, I could feel and see the exciting and contagious energy from all kinds of women, younger and older, of all different races, backgrounds, and more, coming together to praise the Lord and build community.

The worship? Awesome. The testimonies? Inspiring. And the word? Incredible.


The speaker at this event was Caryn Homet: an incredible woman of God, with a powerful message and anointing that lit up the room. Some takeaways from her message were: 

·     Mission requires sacrifice.
·     Even when things are hard, they happen for a reason.
·     Seek and find God in your life.
·     Be careful with “Popular Christianity.” Go by what the bible says. That’s our standard. 
·     And don’t let religiosity, distractions, and sin clutter your heart.

After the event I felt refreshed. And loved, accepted, embraced, and inspired.

Fellowship is good for the soul, and it’s something worth pursuing. If you’re in the Hampton Roads area and looking for great people and places to fellowship with, seek them out and pursue them. Do something fun this weekend and enjoy yourself. TGIF!











Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...