Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Coexisting With Couples

I was the only single woman in the room. I talked with couples, smiled at babies, browsed through my phone, and then made my exit. I was at a surprise birthday party for one of my friends, who happens to be married. Her husband reached out to a bunch of us to gather for a small celebration for her birthday. And while in the past, I’d usually avoid these kinds of events, I decided to show up and celebrate my friend. Sometimes some single women get anxious, insecure, or annoyed being amongst those who are coupled off. And I get it. I used to be the same way until I learned how to coexist with couples. I’m no expert, as I’m still navigating this, but I do have some pointers for single bachelorettes trying to find their way in and through the world of couples…

Relax. Being single in the world can be fun for some and daunting for others. But one of the best things you can do is relax and own your current status. Being single can be awesome! And the freedom that comes with it is an incredible blessing. Trust. Your attitude and perspective about your singleness are what makes the difference. You don’t have a reason to be insecure or feel threatened. Especially when it comes to the status of your love life. The couples you might think are judging you or wondering why you’re single, may not care nearly as much as you do. Just be yourself and relax.  

Be Confident. When you know who you are, you just know. Some people (especially some overstepping and annoying but well-meaning couples) may sometimes make thoughtless comments regarding your singleness, try to set you up with someone they know (who you have zero interest in), and inquire about your relationship status, but be confident with who you are. Confidence is attractive. Be confident with the way you dress, speak, carry yourself, and how you want to be received by others. I once attended a wedding alone and was nervous to go without having a date. But I moved through my fears and happily arrived at the wedding and still had a good time. 

Engage. If you’re heading out to any event, especially one that may involve a lot of couples, be prepared to socialize. Naturally, I’m a quiet person, but I don’t allow that to be an excuse to be standoffish or rude. Talk to people. Some couples are inviting and totally chill. Most of the couples I’ve met looooove showing me pictures of themselves with their significant others, or photos of their newborn babies, or their fur babies, or the new home they’re purchasing and renovating, or enjoy reminding me about how lucky I am to be single 😄. And some super chill couples sometimes have eligible, attractive, and quality single friends they may want to introduce you to, so, why not take them up if interested? Singles can coexist with couples and have a good time. Relax, maintain your confidence, and engage. You’ve got this. 


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...