Skip to main content

I’m Breaking Up With You

My mom and I have a running joke about breaking up with each other. We playfully break up whenever one of us is getting on the other’s nerves. I break up with her almost every week, and on different occasions, I’ve accused her of cheating on me whenever she hangs out with someone else. In return, she usually replies, “We’re already broken up.” While this is a joke for us, some people who go through breakups for different reasons may not find things so funny. The joke my mom and I share prompted me to think about different people I’ve broken up with as 2018 is coming to an end, along with different things, habits, and choices I’ve chosen to break up with too. This has been a challenging year. I’ve had some wins, but I’ve definitely taken some L’s (losses) that felt painful, confusing, and awful. Admittingly, my faith in people and quality relationships has dwindled, and honestly, my overall faith feels unsteady these days. I’m working on it, though. I’m still down with the Lord, but I’ve done a lot of reflecting and reevaluating about how and what I the rest of my life to be like and the kind of people I want in it, and prayerfully, things will turn out just fine. Even if there are some breakups along the way. So far, I’ve broken up with:

·     The insecure need to be accepted, approved of, or liked by people who don’t accept or like me as I am.
·     People who aren’t good for me.
·     People who wouldn’t show up for me when I needed them (especially ones I continually showed up for.) 
·     Waiting for certain people and things to be in place before I experience different things I’ve wanted to experience. 
·     Putting different things I want to experience and accomplish on hold for anything or anyone.  
·     Downplaying being a successful and blessed woman because guys who act like boys think I’m too put together, independent, bougie, or a perfectionist. I can’t make this up. I’ve seriously had these things said to me and about me. I won’t apologize for being blessed or successful. Ever.
·     Downplaying being a successful and blessed woman because of petty, jealous, or insecure women or should I say, girls, who don’t know me well or know me at all, and quite frankly, may not know themselves, have an issue with me. Again, I won’t apologize for being blessed or successful. Ever. 
·     Fear of being vulnerable, authentic, and bold with my writing.
·     The illusion of comfort.
·     Timidity and not standing up for myself.

Who or what are you breaking up with this year? 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...