Skip to main content

The Casualties of Rape

According to rainn.org one out of every six American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. Rape. It’s a scary word that’s become far too common in this day and time. Since news broke out in Hollywood around scandals involving numerous sexual assaults as well as with other predators in different workplaces and all over the world, sexual assault is no longer being tolerated. Although strides and resolutions have been made to prevent its casualties, it still appears there’s a long road ahead of ending it for good. Change doesn’t happen overnight. It’s challenging changing a culture even when something as tragic as rape is involved. When I’ve read and watched haunting stories about men and women who’ve been sexually assaulted, one common thing I’ve heard is what were they wearing? As ludicrous as that question must be for victims, what’s scary is the fact that the question is even presented at all. That question can be damaging to the victim, because the predator is the one at fault. Why is the victim being interrogated about their choice in clothing? Here you will find art exhibits showing clothes worn by different sexual assault survivors, further exploring this haunting question. No woman, man, child, or anyone else, deserves to have their space violated or to be victimized by someone, regardless of how they’re dressed. Also, no one should fear losing their employment, being granted opportunities, or be threatened by anyone in power who chooses to abuse their authority. It’s wrong but that kind of behavior still happens every single day, and sadly, isn’t always reported. I’ve actually met and spoke with two rape survivors, both women, who shared their stories with me. One of the things I found most disturbing about both of their assaults was that they each knew, trusted, and were well acquainted with the men who raped them. That was painful to learn. Awareness and accountability is growing, though. It’s incredible to see the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements supported by men and women from all different races, cultures, and social-economic backgrounds. There really is strength in numbers, because it’s going to take as many people as possible to end sexual assaults and rape culture for good. We’ve had enough casualties and I’m looking forward to change. 



Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...