Skip to main content

The Casualties of Idol Worship

Idol worship is rarely obvious at first. It happens gradually. We make money. Buy nice things. Spend time with amazing people. Dedicate ourselves to our work, gifts, crafts, and families. And in the midst of all those things, sometimes, we neglect God. This is a problem and totally unacceptable. However, God has a way of dethroning things He allows us to be blessed with. Some of us lose jobs, which impacts our income and lifestyles. He strips away different people and relationships we cherish – even ones we never imagined would end. He allows a child to get sick, a family member to pass away, breakups, a separation and/or divorce to be final, and other relationships to fade away because He's God and can do whatever He wants. He loves us too much to allow us to esteem ourselves, a position, income, relationships, or material things above Him. Exodus 20:3-5 reads, “You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God…” Is there anything or anyone you’ve been idolizing in your life that needs to be dethroned? If so, do it before God does. I used to worship friendship. I love having valuable and meaningful friendships in my life, but I no longer worship them. In the past, I experienced the repercussions of doing so and it was painful. One by one, I watched God dismantle different friendships I had, leaving me with open wounds and a broken heart. Being handled by God changed my entire approach. He doesn’t mind us having nice things, positions, or people in our lives, but He doesn’t want any of those things to completely have us or come before Him. Never forget that.




Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...